Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
6B417EF2-EAC4-472F-95F2-F32F546FB794.jpeg 062C8557-EB2D-44E8-8918-29C192FF1B7F.jpeg 5CA3FD16-40A8-4E0F-8949-19715552574C.jpeg Over the years I have had a ton of 10/22’s with all kinds of barrels, stocks, blue and stainless, I have had some with the birch pallet stocks that were beautiful and some were terrible, I have two older 10/22’s with factory walnut stocks and all steel parts and a 1984 first year 77/22 with factory checkered walnut stock, I have bought up older 10/22 metal parts walnut stocks for years, I only have one original factory walnut stock left, they have just got hard to find. Here is a picture of a old 10/22 and a walnut stock.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
He should be sleeping about now. Probably dreaming about pie.
Yes bas was right!! I was in a coma by 834!! But not dreaming about pie! That would be the curmudgeon!!

As for the wood and this is without seeing it and being able to look at the grain real close I would say it is walnut. I will try to look up and study on it further. PM me the serial number if you want and I'll try to figure it out. Don't think it to be birch though.

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
I used to have a 1993 model with similar (though not as pretty) figuring on the stock.
1022 stk fig.jpg

·
Registered
958 Posts
Maybe it is real tiger maple? Maybe someone was really good with a propane torch and furniture finishes...either way...it is nice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
It nice enough to be a hand me down to a grandkid! I would keep it for that reason alone.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
The 10/22 stocks was mostly Birch but there was some Walnut through the years. I can replicate that tiger strip effect by using a slightly darker stain wiped on in that pattern. Either way they are fine looking stocks and more than likely Birch with a off chance of Walnut.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 10/22 stocks was mostly Birch but there was some Walnut through the years...
I believe they were ALL walnut until the early/mid 80s when Ruger (and everybody else) started trying to cut costs. From that point forward, I think all of the standard "carbine" models were birch. The deluxe sporter (I believe that was the designation...came without the barrel band and with a checkered stock with recoil pad) was the only one that consistently came with Walnut.
The "walmart special" models were clones of that Deluxe Sporter, except using birch (checkered, no barrel band, recoil pad)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts