Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while watching Trump become the 45th President, I trimmed and primed 100 hulls.

100 Short Shells.jpg

This is 50 slugs (green) and 50 buckshot (red). The buckshot shells are 9 00 Buck.

I picked these hulls today because of the patina on the heads. The green shells are Remington Gun Club hulls and the red shells are Estate hulls. Both have steel heads (not brass). After they were resized and deprimed I ran them through the SS pins for an hour. The pins and soap caused the patina (blackened) of the steel heads. I was afraid the heads would rust, but these hulls were cleaned many weeks ago and NO RUST. I like the blackened look. I also had to trim 50 wads for the slug shells.

When I was cleaning the assortment of hulls I picked up at Capital Gun Club, the cheap Winchester Universal hulls are also steel heads. But they did not patina at all. The cheap Federal (field/target) hulls did patina. I guess the companies coat their steel head hulls different ways.

Bottom line..................... More fun playing with short shotgun shells.

·
Waffennarr
8,878 Posts
SGF did you have to modify the shell lifter in your shotgun(s) to get short shells to feed properly? I cannot get those to feed reliably in either a Mossberg 590 nor in Remington 870 s . I have read of mods to the Remington a while back but don't recall the details, and wonder if the mod would affect using full-sized shells.
ETA: maybe not the shell lifter but the shell stop was the modification. If anyone knows of this modification, and whether it would affect feed of normal sized shells, I'd like to hear your experience with such.

·
Premium Member
14,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SGF did you have to modify the shell lifter in your shotgun(s) to get short shells to feed properly? I cannot get those to feed reliably in either a Mossberg 590 nor in Remington 870 s . I have read of mods to the Remington a while back but don't recall the details, and wonder if the mod would affect using full-sized shells.
ETA: maybe not the shell lifter but the shell stop was the modification. If anyone knows of this modification, and whether it would affect feed of normal sized shells, I'd like to hear your experience with such.
The 2" shells work fine in my pump guns (500 & 870). Neither have been modified. Are you using/trying those tiny 1.5" Agulia shells? Those can cause problems. The shortest shells I have made and tried are 1-5/8" and sometimes they hang up. I am now sticking to 1-7/8" or longer shells.

·
Waffennarr
8,878 Posts
The 2" shells work fine in my pump guns (500 & 870). Neither have been modified. Are you using/trying those tiny 1.5" Agulia shells? Those can cause problems. The shortest shells I have made and tried are 1-5/8" and sometimes they hang up. I am now sticking to 1-7/8" or longer shells.

Yes the short Aguila shells are what I was referring to. They simply do not work in any of our shotguns, save to feed the first round.

Reactions: LearCo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts