Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpeg
took it out Saturday and shot like a dream. Brought it home and the hammer seems real gummy feeling. Not making very positive clicks, and this piece sometimes moves like its suppose to and sometimes it don't move at all. I was thinking maybe a piece of the cap fell in there, but I figured I would ask seasoned vets before I went further. I cleaned it very thoroughly. I didn't take apart the handle and everything completely because I was told I don't have to every time I shot it. If this is incorrect info please let me know. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
View attachment 60358 took it out Saturday and shot like a dream. Brought it home and the hammer seems real gummy feeling. Not making very positive clicks, and this piece sometimes moves like its suppose to and sometimes it don't move at all. I was thinking maybe a piece of the cap fell in there, but I figured I would ask seasoned vets before I went further. I cleaned it very thoroughly. I didn't take apart the handle and everything completely because I was told I don't have to every time I shot it. If this is incorrect info please let me know. Thanks in advance.
BP guns should be thoroughly cleaned and oiled after every session. That includes removing the grips, and digging out the crud that builds up in the frame to barrel alignment pin holes. You're just asking for trouble if you don't.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BP guns should be thoroughly cleaned and oiled after every session. That includes removing the grips, and digging out the crud that builds up in the frame to barrel alignment pin holes. You're just asking for trouble if you don't.
Thanks. I'll take it completely apart tomorrow and see how that does. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Those guns are very simple to take apart and put back together. When something stops working or feels odd, the first thing you do is take the revolver apart and clean it very thoroughly. If anything else is wrong, you'll be able to spot it much easier once its clean.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
You might try taking the grips off, and shining a small flashlight up under the hammer, might be a small amount of rust residue or black powder residue anywhere.. Pull the cylinder out and check the movement of the hand. Before I did a complete disassembly, I would spray a good CLP LIGHTLY up under the hammer and with the grips off, take some air, I use my air compressor and blow the solvent out with the grips off. Then check how it rotates and the timing.Good luck.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It may be a small piece of cap in the action. The traditional technique of holding the revolver over the head and bringing it down came from the C&B era. Holding the revolver vertical and cocking the hammer allows the pieces of caps to fall free of the action. I believe the use of this technique is a safety violation at our range. The handgun is pointed over the top of the impact backstop and could be dangerous if the revolver is accidentally fired.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally got the correct screw drivers to take it apart. It was a small piece of cap that fell down in there. Thank goodness I took it apart cause she needed a lil cleansing. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Morte
4,327 Posts
Good deal. Glad you got it sorted.

I would like to get a 1860 Army one day to go with my 51 Navy and Dad's old 58 Remington

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
That is a good idea, always buy or borrow some hollow ground screw drivers that fit the screw heads good. You got it going now.:)

Reactions: boogerbear
1 - 13 of 13 Posts