Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope there's a Remington expert on here. A friend of mine picked this up and I'm considering buying it if we can figure out what it's worth. We know for sure that it is an 1863 New Model Navy percussion revolver that has been converted to center fire. Thousands of these were converted by the factory. What's odd on this one is the conversion. It appears to be a European conversion and not a Remington conversion. The first two pictures are side views.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]A filler piece has been added to the frame at the rear of the cylinder to fill it in after the nipples were removed from the cylinder and the loading gate is part of this filler.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img] The cylinder pin and ejector are the same style used on Belguim revolvers. The Remington conversions I've seen have an ejector like the Colt SAA revolvers.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]The rear of the cylinder has a Belguim proof mark for the Liege proofhouse.
[/url][/img]The side of the barrel and frame and the rear of the cylinder are stamped with a "R" with a star over it. The Flayderman's Guide say that Remington 1875's for an Egyptian contract had this mark.
[/url][/img]Does anyone have any info on what this could possible be or have any idea where I could go for more info? Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
21,635 Posts
Sorry - know nothing about them; however, looks to be a real interesting piece of history!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.