Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped in at Gary's in Columbus this morning to get a better look at this rifle. It's an original made in 1873?, no serial number that I could find. It's in pretty good condition imho. Priced at $2995 if anyone is interested. Looking on-line, prices for this model vary tremendously, and I don't know enough about them to know if Gary's price is a good deal or not.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Too Rich for my blood. Probably some East coast "firearms investor", with more money than sense, would snap it up on GoBroker though.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I don’t believe they made 1873s without a serial number

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
The ‘73 was originally introduced in 44-40 only. Other calibers were added later. The .32-20 was designed in 1882. Not sure what year the ‘73 was chambered in it. It should have a serial no.

Reactions: maxhush

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The ‘73 was originally introduced in 44-40 only. Other calibers were added later. The .32-20 was designed in 1882. Not sure what year the ‘73 was chambered in it. It should have a serial no.
It probably does, but I couldn't find one on the receiver, barrel, or other external areas. Possible it was hidden by the forestock? Maybe just my eyes. Anyway, if someone more knowledgeable wants to go check it out it will likely be sitting in the used rack just inside the door. It's been there for at least a week or 2.

I did find an article about the caliber by Paco Kelly. Mostly about handloading for it.

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
.32-20 is an easy round to handload and has little recoil, especially in a rifle. I’ve got several revolvers and rifles in it including a ‘73 SRC.

·
Premium Member
13,651 Posts
Forgot to add that the serial number should be on the bottom of the tang. The lever hides it when it’s closed.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to add that the serial number should be on the bottom of the tang. The lever hides it when it’s closed.
That's probably why I didn't see it. The lever was pretty hard to work, but likely just needs some tlc. :)

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
That's probably why I didn't see it. The lever was pretty hard to work, but likely just needs some tlc. :)
Well...TLC and about $3K in buckazoids, apparently... I mean I'd like to have a .32-20 lever gun, eventually, but just not nearly $3K worth of like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts