19 with a hand gun as a gift

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Chanler10, May 5, 2018.

1. Chanler10

Chanler10 Member

Hey everyone, my 21 year old friend bought a hand gun from the gun store and gifted it to me. I am 19 years old with no record. Is this in any way a problem? I know that I can carry in the confines of my own home and in my truck. But is it okay that the gun was gifted to me? Correct me on any infromation I may have been wrong on above. Thank ya’ll. -Caleb

JohnDeere and Mesquite like this.
  2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Don't see why there would be a problem. MS doesn't require a permit to carry, and you can't apply for one till you're 21 anyway unless you're military.

As for the "gift" question, as long as no money changed hands you're not in violation of any State or Fed (ATF) rules regarding "straw purchasers".

See this (current law): HB 786 (As Sent to Governor) - 2016 Regular Session

And Question 11a on the 4473 form: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4...n-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

3. Chanler10

Chanler10 Member

Okay, thats good, does he need to right something similar to a bill of sale or a “gift of sale” so if I get stoped there is no problems? Or does it matter? My final question, if I carry in my truck does it have to be unloaded and does it need to be concealed or visible

4. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Sounds like you had your friend buy you a handgun that you couldn't legally buy yourself. Thats just my first impression, and just saying.

5. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

I'll add this to what Gunny said... if You and your friend are both legal residents of Mississippi... and you are legally able to own and possess a firearm (i.e. - are not excluded by any questions on a form 4473 and can pass a NICS background check), you're good to go here as far as I understand.

94LEVERFAN, beasleydano and mascott like this.
  6. GunnyGene

No, he does not need to provide you with any "This is a gift" paperwork. In fact, I'd advise against it. The burden of proof regarding any allegation of a straw purchase is on the State/Fed.

Again, see the law I posted above (HB786) for legal details on this and other questions. But briefly, there are no restrictions in your truck or other vehicle. Loaded, unloaded, visible or not, accessible or not, locked in a safe or not, doesn't make any difference. Nor are you required to inform an officer you have a weapon, although it's often the polite thing to do so there are no misunderstandings about your intent. If you're asked, tell the truth. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and you'll be just fine. :)

BTW, Welcome to the Forum. :)

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  7. Chanler10

Chanler10 Member

Thank you for the feedback.

Cliff731 likes this.
  8. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

No $$ changed hands !! to be legal gift as gunney noted.

9. GunnyGene

PS: I'll add a word of advise. If you plan on carrying it concealed or openly, don't flaunt the fact, be discreet and act normally. You're young and people often look askance at young men or women carrying. Don't invite trouble thru your actions. Other than that, enjoy your freedom, & have a good time with your new gun. :)

10. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Pretty dang good friend to shell out several hundred dollars on a friend as a gift.

So I'll play devils advocate. I would think some people, LEO included will listen to your story and take it with a grain of salt and suspicion.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

People do that man. Several years ago
    I gave one of my buddies an ar15 for his 18th birthday.

12. ThatGuy

I wouldn't CC it just yet if I was you, not saying it's illegal but LE are definitely gonna be giving you some shiz if you're ever in a situation to have to explain yourself.
    It's legal to own and possess handguns at 18 in MS if they are acquired through gifts or a private sale.

13. ThatGuy

That being said I wouldn't not carry it on me or in the truck just be prepared for am extra layer or two of B.S.

Chanler10 likes this.
  14. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    Would add this to one of Gunny's comments re: the requirement to inform a LEO of possession, that issue will vary from state to state no matter your age, but suspect you would especially want to be on your Ps and Qs being under 21. Believe Louisiana says you are to inform though when I asked my BIL who is retired office and works as DA investigator about that it was his opinion that duty to inform only applied if the weapon is on you immediate person. As others have said, never lie when asked because that will never end well for you especially where guns are concerned.

Chanler10 likes this.
  15. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

La is definately duty to inform, and don't play with the La state police they are a very very serious lot. If not mistaken Texas is also, Ms is not not sure about Al and Florida would have to look it up.

But I would make sure I checked those state laws before traveling their with a handgun at 18. Those states it could very well be against the law. Laws very from state to state.

16. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Be careful when traveling thru or into Alabama with a loaded firearm inside your car or truck. Check their State laws over there prior to doing so. Last time I checked, it ain't like being in Mississippi... especially if one does not have a valid Mississippi CC permit! o_O

As far as gifting a handgun in the State of Mississippi, Beasleydano likely knows the Federal and State requirements on this... :)

@beasleydano

beasleydano likes this.
  17. ThatGuy

Just keep it in the truck and don't be flashing it at the sonic and as far as MS laws are concerned you oughta be alright

Chanler10 likes this.
  18. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hate to be THAT guy BUT......write.....not right.

onlymaroonmatters, BasMstr and para40 like this.
  19. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I know write!

onlymaroonmatters, melmerf and para40 like this.
  20. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

Texas is like Louisiana if you are "out of state'er" with or without a CC. As I recall in Louisiana, you are obligated to inform no matter where or how it's stored in your vehicle. The pissers is that if you inform, you waive your rights and they can then search your vehicle without the need of a search warrant. Or something screwup like that.