Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a Springfield Armory TRP Operator. Not sure when I'll receive it in my hands. Head scratching on a 1911 in 22lr to train with. Any ideas? Don't have to go the cheapest route. Dont need an early collector model at $1000 or more. Looking for weight, balance, & good trigger that will be similar to the one I have ordered.

·
Registered
15,095 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GunnyGene I saw the ATI u shared with my was made in Germany. Do you actually have one as so you are referring it to me? Ive seen a Walther/Colt but it has a polymer bottom. I want the feel to be similar to the TRP. Would like everything to be similar. Amberdextrious safety is not important

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
13Medic I have a collection of Ruger mark it's including a mark iii 22/45 pac lite. No comparison to the TRP. But yes you are correct the Rugers are great pistols. Been shooting them for 31 years

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GunnyGene I just saw the ATI does have the amberdextrious safety. Its cheap price. Would u definitely recommend this one or another for more money that would be closer to weight for my purpose?

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
I’ve got one of these on a G22 lower and it works great.
This would keep the same trigger pull. All the 1911 .22’s that I’ve seen have aluminum slides so they will be lighter that a .45.

Reactions: Richard

·
Registered
15,095 Posts
GunnyGene I saw the ATI u shared with my was made in Germany. Do you actually have one as so you are referring it to me? Ive seen a Walther/Colt but it has a polymer bottom. I want the feel to be similar to the TRP. Would like everything to be similar. Amberdextrious safety is not important
I have the Sig 1911-22, which is identical to the GSG, but no longer made. It's a good gun that I've had since 2011. The only downside with the Sig was the finish on the grip frame, which wore off quickly around the grip. Put maybe 2500 rounds thru it since I bought it. They do require HV ammo, since Std Velocity won't reliably rack the slide.

ZR tactical has aftermarket performance kits for it if you want.

·
Registered
15,095 Posts
I have the Sig 1911-22, which is identical to the GSG, but no longer made. It's a good gun that I've had since 2011. The only downside with the Sig was the finish on the grip frame, which wore off quickly around the grip. Put maybe 2500 rounds thru it since I bought it. They do require HV ammo, since Std Velocity won't reliably rack the slide.

Also what 22lrfan said regarding weight differences.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes 22lrfan. Thank you! I may indeed opt to get a lower priced Springfield Armory 1911 & convert back & forth with one of those units. Thinking in my mind there is always a downside to the conversion kits whether in 1911 or AR15 platforms. I really don't want to monkey around with my TRP mechanically wise too much. Waiting for the next calender year to purchase another SA1911 on the IOP program so I can get the best bang for my buck. Ive sold several Glock 45acp's this year but kept a few. Will always keep a few. They'd be my go to pistol for SHTF for sure. Got the TRP because I wanted something more classy & nostalgic to shoot. Went on a deer hunt up in Illinois several years back with a M1A scout squad & the guide asked me, "What in the hell is that?" I said, "Its a man's rifle! Its derived from the M1 Garand. Its part of history that enables all of us to live in the land of the free!" He rolled his eyes but when i harvested a deer the next day he said he might have to get one. I laughed!

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts

I had one of those a few years ago before it got stolen. Mine was the OD green color, and the same issue with the color coming off. It also preferred high velocity stuff, but ran really well on it.

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I've ordered a Springfield Armory TRP Operator. Not sure when I'll receive it in my hands. Head scratching on a 1911 in 22lr to train with. Any ideas? Don't have to go the cheapest route. Dont need an early collector model at $1000 or more. Looking for weight, balance, & good trigger that will be similar to the one I have ordered.
What I've always done was to get a Colt Ace .22Lr conversion. Your lower, .22upper. Changed the sights to match my carry/comp pistol. Have used this since I was competing back in the 80's. Same for the AR. GI Issue .22LR conversion. The AK's and most pistol platforms offer a conversion.

Reactions: Blade

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Two that I would recommend, first is the RIA XT-22. I've got the 22 mag version and love it and plan to pick up the 22 lr version in the near future. The second option would be a Nelson conversion; which you could then mount on your SA frame.

Reactions: rigrat and Blade

·
Registered
209 Posts
A 1911 .22 conversion kit allows you to have the exact trigger, grip, and safety as in .45, but the weight and recoil difference really does make it feel like you are shooting a completely different gun.

I practiced with a .22 conversion kit for a few months, and then switched to .45 right before a match. I was genuinely surprised by the difference in weight and recoil, it felt like i was swinging a cannon around.

Lessons learned (by me) so far:

- The 1911-22s and conversion kits aren't bad as a practice tool and they do replicate the manual-of-arms exactly -- but a Ruger Mark-something or Buckmark will be a better gun - more reliable, more accurate, and with a heavy barrel you can even get the weight closer to a .45.

- Don't get too used to the .22. Work some "real" caliber practice into your routine.

- Having 2 guns (one .45 and one .22) is better than having one gun with a conversion kit. That way you don't have to swap uppers in the middle of a practice session (and launch your recoil spring plug into a pile of brass - oopsie!)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I couldn't disagree more about the Ruger 22/45. I have several of them and not one feels anything like any of my 1911s. They are front heavy the weight bias is all wrong and the controls / manual of arms is / are very different. As far as reliability goes, I don't feel like they are much, if any more reliable than my Nelson or my TX-22 mag. That said; the manual of arms being pretty much standard 1911 on both an occasional stoppage / FTF or FTE is great practice if it should happen. As a matter of fact finding a brand of ammo that either of those choices doesn't like would be high on my list of things to do. Guess I'm just silly that way. LOL

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I couldn't disagree more about the Ruger 22/45. I have several of them and not one feels anything like any of my 1911s. They are front heavy the weight bias is all wrong and the controls / manual of arms is / are very different. As far as reliability goes, I don't feel like they are much, if any more reliable than my Nelson or my TX-22 mag. That said; the manual of arms being pretty much standard 1911 on both an occasional stoppage / FTF or FTE is great practice if it should happen. As a matter of fact finding a brand of ammo that either of those choices doesn't like would be high on my list of things to do. Guess I'm just silly that way. LOL

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
While posting my last post I had gone out to the RIA site and noticed the XT-22 in 22 lr didn't seem to be on their site anymore. Now they seem to only had a combo of 22 lr and 45 acp. I remembered seeing the 22 lr version at Cowarts some months back so I stopped on my way home tonight and they still had it so I grabbed it. Was the only one they had left.

Moral to the story; I practice what I preach LOL

Reactions: Twang and rigrat
1 - 20 of 22 Posts