close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

1911 Rear Sight

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Soonered, Apr 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Soonered

Soonered Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've got a Springfield 1911 with an adjustable rear sight. The pin towards the front of the rear sight that acts like a hinge pin keeps coming loose. The pin is solid and somehow needs to tighn up. Any suggestions on how to do this? I've got locktite but not sure that is the way to fix it as Im concerned the locktite might interfer with the hing action when the sight is raise/lowered.

2. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Distinguished Poster

3. Soonered

The gun is fairly new and I'm the original owener. Wasn't thinking about it being broken. I'll give Springfield a call, maybe they will cover it.

4. Dr. Benway

Dr. Benway Distinguished Poster

I'm sure they will. They've sent me several parts for guns I've worn out. The service and lifetime warranty is great.

5. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Perfect timing!!!

Just got done testing some loads in Bobcat's new GP100, and had the same problem. Sounds like I need to call Ruger tomorrow. (I am thinking about changing the sights though -- black sights on a black target = zero sight picture for me)

6. Soonered

I looked at the sights more carefully where the pin goes in. I don't see anything broken. However, it looks like there is three stakings on the left side that are prononced where the pin can't exit. On the right, where the pin is coming loose, there are only two stakings and one is almost undetectable. It looks like to me the stakings may be too light on the right side which is allowing the pin to work out. Does this make sense? I don't know much about how this pin is to be held in but that is what it looks like to me. If that is the case, I assume a gun smith can stake the hole where the pin inserts?

7. Soonered

8. Soonered

Took it to Sum Gy and he fixed it before I could blink.

Thanks.

9. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

For no more than he knows about 1911's he does pretty good work! :lol1:

J.B.

CajunBP, Soonered, wllmkttrll and 6 others like this.
  10. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    didn't know why you asking,you know where to go

11. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

I be gets lucky now and again!!! :D

fordpkup likes this.
  12. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
    that should read pretty,great work