Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1934 hex receiver Mosin Nagant rifle. The receiver is stamped PM-86. I seem to remember some theorizing on what this stamp meant, but cannot remember the significance. I know mosins dont lack for unknown markings, but also seem to remember that on the list all those others were Tula’s this one is an Iz. Anyone shed any light on this? Any additional value?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I have a 1934 hex receiver Mosin Nagant rifle. The receiver is stamped PM-86. I seem to remember some theorizing on what this stamp meant, but cannot remember the significance. I know mosins dont lack for unknown markings, but also seem to remember that on the list all those others were Tula’s this one is an Iz. Anyone shed any light on this? Any additional value?
If you can post a photo and/or describe where the PM-86 is located I will look in my 2 vol. set Drei Linien by Karl-Heinz Wrobel & probably figger it out.

·
Premium Member
6,287 Posts
Just another unknown from what I’ve seen. Rumored to be an arsenal number (#86).

Not common though so yea, it adds some value to a select crowd.

Like Zinke said, I’d also love to see some pics.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it took me longer to dig it out than I thought. Attached are a couple of pics and I hope someone can tell me about this PM-86 marking. I have heard that there are not that many in the US probably less then 20, most are Tula's, nearly all are 1934's and all are hex's. I have heard the PM-86 guns were carried on Russian submarines as part of their locker arsenal. Another one is that they were some sort of trials rifle. This gun as well as one other has 2 holes drilled into the inside of the receiver. The holes do not penetrate through to the outside of the receiver and while smaller than my PU, they are in the general location although slightly more forward towards the barrel. The bolt is highly polished and butter smooth, I mean like a old broke in Winchester model 70. Any ideas? I purchased the gun in its original cardboard box from a fellow that won it as a door prize at a gun show.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not sure about the PM-86 markings, still looking around for more information on it. In regards to the holes on the inside of the receiver, I’ve heard that those are plugged holes from where the Russians tried that rifle as a sniper rifle. I’ve heard that rifles that were chosen were for their accuracy from the factory. The Russians scoped the rifles, then for one reason or another they pulled the scopes and plugged the holes and put the rifles back in service.

·
Registered
10,817 Posts
Mosins would seem like a poor and unlikely choice for submarine armories, but then again it is (or was) the Soviets...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The holes are different that the normal holes for PU mounts, slightly different location and much smaller than the ones I have seen. I will try to post some pics later this evening.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts