Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Senior Curmudgeon
567 Posts
We've been eating yellow squash, zucchinis and cucumbers for a couple weeks. Corn is 6' with tassels and silk out. Tomato plants are loaded with fruit. Blueberries have a slight blue tinge starting. Banana peppers are starting to turn yellow.

For once, we got an early start on our garden, somewhere around the 1st of March, and no frosts luckily

15887003331371109360080.jpg

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Blueberries are heavy and with the improvised scarecrow / Hasenschreck / Mockingbird defense, hopefully most will make it to the freezer this year. No frost after the blooms which = more berries!
There's more than one use for a target stand:
IMG_0648.JPG

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blueberries are heavy and with the improvised scarecrow / Hasenschreck / Mockingbird defense, hopefully most will make it to the freezer this year. No frost after the blooms which = more berries!
There's more than one use for a target stand:
View attachment 218227
And yes one foot is missing. A certain female decided to "help" me by using the push mower. Not easy seeing a 2" PVC pipe sitting out in the open in front of the impact berm. :groan:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
We just planted this passed Saturday, weather finally right in NY, still sore from all the work.... Tomatoes, brussel sprouts, kale, lettuce,potatoes, peppers,peas,spinach and herbs.
We want to plant blueberries but they don't show up around here til June. We have some planted in the Earth and the rest in 5gal buckets due to useable yard space... next house is going to be in the country with a greenhouse to start early. Hard work but so enjoyable.

·
Registered
9,455 Posts
I'm jealous of all you farmers...my wife (a country girl) and I (a city boy) have both apparently got "rotten thumbs": we never have been any good getting food to grow. We do have a good crop of parsley and mint this year, though! ;)

·
Mr. Happy
1,667 Posts
Y'all are just waaaayyy ahead of me on your gardens. Rain and late cools spells caused me to get a late start. So, I'm still watching stuff pop out of the ground.
Same up here in DeSoto County. Got our small garden planted last Saturday. Okra, squash, bell pepper, and tomatoes. Still waiting on everything to pop up out of the ground except peppers and tomatoes. Talked to my uncle down in Union County. They were late getting everything in too. Hoping to get some purple hull peas, butter beans, and other veggies from his place. He plants about 20 acres total that the whole family picks from.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Man I’m envious of all of you. I suppose I will have to admit I have given up, I have never been able to keep the deer out of mine. I have seen all sorts of plans for “deer proof” fences but. in the fine print they all admit that the deer may still get over them anyway. I know my 5 foot fence around the garden never deterred them.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put your dogyard next to your garden....and put a dog in it.
Was going to suggest the same.
Also you can cut down on the water bill and use the outdoor toilet. Remember, the world is a man's toilet. Deer don't like the odor.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We just planted this passed Saturday, weather finally right in NY, still sore from all the work.... Tomatoes, brussel sprouts, kale, lettuce,potatoes, peppers,peas,spinach and herbs.
We want to plant blueberries but they don't show up around here til June. We have some planted in the Earth and the rest in 5gal buckets due to useable yard space... next house is going to be in the country with a greenhouse to start early. Hard work but so enjoyable.
If you ever get to KP, send a photo, curious as to how it looks since the plague quarantine. Hard to believe it's been almost 3 years since the Lt. JG graduated, and we were on Long Island.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts