close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

20ga Mini Shells are ALIVE... and Cute...

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by SubGunFan, Dec 1, 2017.

1. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    Bare with me.... this thread covers a few things.

Lets start with the BIGGIE..... 20ga mini shells.

20ga Mini Shells.jpg
    These are the first ones. So far I have only loaded six #1 buckshot pellets. Depending on the hull, I can get 1-3/8" and 1-1/2" OAL minis. Later tonight I might jump into loading birdshot minis. I want to get a good assortment for the range trip. 20ga slug minis are still down the road..............

Speaking of #1 buckshot.................

Untumbled #1 Buckshot.jpg

Tumbled #1 Buckshot.jpg
    Before and after pics. Ellis, you were correct, powdered graphite is the ticket. And yes, a little MESSY...... :D I tumbles the buckshot for 3 hours.

Buckshot on Sprues.jpg
    Remember from my other thread about casting buckshot with a SharpShooters mold. And that most of the time all cavities don't fill out. Well sometimes you get lucky and get a few of these. A perfect casting......

As for loading 20ga mini shells..... My first selection of wads and gas seals from BPI sucks. The wads might work OK for regular shells, but the gas seals are GARBAGE (IMO). I will be making another order to BPI soon. The 20ga roll-crimper works GREAT though. Academy Sports has Monarch 20ga shells for $5/box and the hulls are GOOD, so I will stop by there to buy a few boxes. The new primed Fiocchi 20ga hulls I bought from BPI look like they are going to be great hulls for mini shells.

As for the crappy wads and gas seals....... sometimes you win, and sometimes you LOSE.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    oldguns, 22lrfan, BasMstr and 3 others like this.
  2. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I don't tumble mine nearly that long Sub. Maybe an hour or so.....they come out round and shiny.

Also......been there with the poor component choices. More than I will admit to.

BasMstr and SubGunFan like this.

3. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

Looking good sir!

4. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hulls going out tomorrow Sub!!

BasMstr likes this.
  5. SubGunFan

Jackson
    Thank you.

6. SubGunFan

Jackson

The BIG box of 20ga hulls and wads arrived today. THANK YOU ! ! !

Look for a check in your mail soon.