Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked and Kimber makes one to fit the 4" & 5" models. I guess i'll get a 1911 framed .22 to plink around with. Either a Chiappa or GSG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
I BELIEVE you could make it work. Since most .22 conversions have a stationary slide and only a small portion to the rear of the conversion unit moves back to extract the spent casing.

I'm not familiar enough with the units to know 100%.

I'd be inclined to say that, yes, it would function, but it wouldn't be pretty, what with the gap between the dustcover and all.

As for getting a conversion, you could spend just about as much and get a whole new .22 1911 that would be more inclined to work since it was designed around the rimfire round to begin with.

Most 1911's come with a ~21 lb mainspring from the factory. It requires a pretty good bit of momentum to bring the hammer back, which still has to happen with a conversion top-end. A lot of guys are having trouble with the conversion units functioning well.

My two cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
Will_M said:
Most 1911's come with a ~21 lb mainspring from the factory. It requires a pretty good bit of momentum to bring the hammer back, which still has to happen with a conversion top-end. A lot of guys are having trouble with the conversion units functioning well.

My two cents.
Actually....16 lbs is the standard factory rating....per the slip that came with the 16 lb Wolff recoil spring I have sitting on my desk right now, as I look for anything to take my mind off of the calculus final I'm supposed to be studying for. Not that it really matters, I'm just saying ha.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
jakeg823 said:
Will_M said:
Most 1911's come with a ~21 lb mainspring from the factory. It requires a pretty good bit of momentum to bring the hammer back, which still has to happen with a conversion top-end. A lot of guys are having trouble with the conversion units functioning well.

My two cents.
Actually....16 lbs is the standard factory rating....per the slip that came with the 16 lb Wolff recoil spring I have sitting on my desk right now, as I look for anything to take my mind off of the calculus final I'm supposed to be studying for. Not that it really matters, I'm just saying ha.
Jake, you are talking about the recoil spring (16 lb. standard) and Will is talking about the mainspring (21 lb. standard). Just to get you on the same sheet of music. :bigtu:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,440 Posts
Rem 3200 said:
jakeg823 said:
Will_M said:
Most 1911's come with a ~21 lb mainspring from the factory. It requires a pretty good bit of momentum to bring the hammer back, which still has to happen with a conversion top-end. A lot of guys are having trouble with the conversion units functioning well.

My two cents.
Actually....16 lbs is the standard factory rating....per the slip that came with the 16 lb Wolff recoil spring I have sitting on my desk right now, as I look for anything to take my mind off of the calculus final I'm supposed to be studying for. Not that it really matters, I'm just saying ha.
Jake, you are talking about the recoil spring (16 lb. standard) and Will is talking about the mainspring (21 lb. standard). Just to get you on the same sheet of music. :bigtu:
got ya!!! seems like i recalled noticing that the other day, and it just slipped my mind again ha...my bad will! i stand corrected!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top