Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Gun-Fu Wannabe; Just Living Life
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it is now snake season, I wanted to get a .22 for the wife and load it with CCI snake shot shells. I was thinking the .22 would be fine, small and lightweight she can carry it while she’s walking the dog. Only problem I think would be the double action pulls of a revolver. She’s already jittery seeing a snake, so the nerves of running it to one, and trying to hold the dog back AND trying to pull a DA trigger might be too much. Would a semi-auto like the Walter P22QD be a better option?

If so, anyone got one for sale?

·
Registered
10,453 Posts
Get a double action revolver with a exposed hammer. Then she can take single action shots to eliminate the double action trigger pull.
Autos don’t work well with rat shot loads. They usually are not powerful enough to cycle the action and if they do it tends to break the capsule when feeding.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
Get a double action revolver with a exposed hammer. Then she can take single action shots to eliminate the double action trigger pull.
Autos don’t work well with rat shot loads. They usually are not powerful enough to cycle the action and if they do it tends to break the capsule when feeding.
............................... :yeah:

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Ruger® LCRx® Double-Action Revolver Model 5435

The 3” LCR balances incredibly well, and is extremely light. The .22lr version does require heavier springs, but still one of the best DA/SA triggers you’ll find on a revolver.

I have a Walther P22. It’s a fun gun, but if I went for a small auto .22, I’d go with the ruger sr22.
He needs to avoid the autos if he wants to run snake shot. Didn't mr randy say he had the shockwave in .410? That's what she needs for snakes:)

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m thinking this NAA would be good.

NAA-22M-TW

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
I’m thinking this NAA would be good.

NAA-22M-TW
It would be fine. The only thing is it has the small grips. I like the black widow because it has real 3 dot sights and a slightly larger rubber grip that makes it easier to hold. They make one with a longer barrel also that might make it a little more effective for self defense when using hollow points.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
.22 Autos don’t work well with rat shot loads. They usually are not powerful enough to cycle the action and if they do it tends to break the capsule when feeding.
FIFY

I realize we're talking .22's here, but your statement is not 100% correct. A homemade .45 ACP shotshell from a cut down .243 case will feed is some 1911's. I don't know about other .45's. I have some of these shotshells and they feed fine in my Colt 1991A1 Compact. But they won't in my Para Elite Commander. I haven't tried them in any of the others. The shells have a gas check over the powder then the shot and another gas check inverted and a slight roll crimp. The inverted gas check is at the end of the case. Sorry for the lousy photo, best I could do with my cell and my being up this late.

IMG_20180701_002251533.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
FIFY

I realize we're talking .22's here, but your statement is not 100% correct. A homemade .45 ACP shotshell from a cut down .243 case will feed is some 1911's. I don't know about other .45's. I have some of these shotshells and they feed fine in my Colt 1991A1 Compact. But they won't in my Para Elite Commander. I haven't tried them in any of the others. The shells have a gas check over the powder then the shot and another gas check inverted and a slight roll crimp. The inverted gas check is at the end of the case. Sorry for the lousy photo, best I could do with my cell and my being up this late.

View attachment 84581
These look like a lot of time to make. If you are lazy like me or don't have time to make these I don't think the factory shot shells for auto pistols will cycle. I might be wrong because I've never tried them.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
These look like a lot of time to make. If you are lazy like me or don't have time to make these I don't think the factory shot shells for auto pistols will cycle. I might be wrong because I've never tried them.
Takes about the same amount of time as loading your own using the plastic shot cups. But I understand. I doubt the factory shot shells cycle in autos.

·
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It would be fine. The only thing is it has the small grips. I like the black widow because it has real 3 dot sights and a slightly larger rubber grip that makes it easier to hold. They make one with a longer barrel also that might make it a little more effective for self defense when using hollow points.
What is a Bull Cylinder?

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
My wife wanted to carry my black widow for her self defense but I won't let her because I don't think it's enough gun. She has a glock 26. It's ok for a last ditch backup but I think it's a very good snake gun with cci snake shot. Try it on a paper plate at 6 feet. If the snake is farther than that it's not a threat to you anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,048 Posts
I have the Cobray FMJ .410 Derringer for snakes.
cobray fmj.jpg

1 - 20 of 26 Posts