22 WMR for squirrels??

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by ms bow hunter, May 15, 2018.

1. ms bow hunter

ms bow hunter Full Poster

With kids coming of age I figured I better get prepared to start back doing a little squirrel hunting. Any thoughts on 22 WMR for squirrels or should I stick with 22 LR?

phillipd likes this.
  2. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

The magnum will work fine if you can hit 'em in the head or bark 'em! Otherwise I suspect you won't have much meat left! :lol4:

HotRod61, Mesquite, Cliff731 and 6 others like this.

3. 13Medic

13Medic Distinguished Poster

My primary squirrel rifle is a Winchester 9422M chambered in .22wmr. I use the CCI fmj's or I think they refer to them as TMJ's. Very effective on squirrel and manageable damage to the meat. Of course head shots are preferred.

4. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    I’d stick with 22lr. Cheaper to shoot!

5. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Head shots with a magnum

6. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Phillip, I would recommend using solid bullets if ya,ll want to give it a whirl.Hollowpoint might tear em up too bad. I knew a Deputy Sheriff years ago that used the Remington 22 CB Lr. or Short for squirrel hunting because they didn,t spook the other squirrels.

7. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I don't see any need. Wastes both meat and money. .22LR kills them just as dead.

8. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

For younger kids I would stay with the .22LR.
    It's a lot cheaper.
    They are probably going to expend more rounds being young shooters.
    They will probably have more body shot for the same reason as above, so less damage to meat.
    I mean no offense by this. If your children are experienced shooters then by all means go with the .22mag if you want.

Jarhead5811, Mesquite and Cliff731 like this.
  9. ms bow hunter

ms bow hunter Full Poster

No offense taken! They are young shooters and 22lr sounds like the more practical way to go (especially since there will likely be a lot of everything but head-shots going on). I just recently purchased my first 22 mag and have no experience with the round in a hunting application.

Mesquite, jakeg823 and Henry Bowman like this.
  10. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Distinguished Poster

It all comes down to personal preference. Nowadays I have very few .22mags because of ammo costs. I use the .22lr in most cases. Back home I grew up using an old Winchester .22mag as my main coyote rifle. Had the reach and didn't damage the pelt.

11. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

........................... :yeah:

Back in the day when I was growing up... my older brother and I would head off to the woods of the Delta to get in some quality squirrel hunting time... and early mornings were our preferred time of day for this... and the woods were chock full of nice stands of hardwood trees... simply made to order for those squirrels! :)

He always took his .410 shotgun and did fairly well with it... (some years later I suspect his Browning A5 Light 12 or Browning SA .22 likely became his first choice for this hunting).

However... my only choice (and my preferred choice) were one and the same... my very trusty Marlin Model 39A .22 lever action!!!

For full disclosure here... My brother always bagged more "tree rats" with his Remington single shot .410 than I did with my Marlin .22 lever action... as his patience and hunting skills easily surpassed mine... ;)

Were I to do this today, I would load up that Marlin Model 39 with .22 shorts... and try to avoid the "high velocity" types and go for a hollow point bullet preference here.

But... I do have my own .410 now... a Browning BPS pump action... and would really like to give it a try at taking some squirrels someday... :cool:

12. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

For the kids a 22lr is fine. For you go to a 36 caliber muzzle loader. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!!

13. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Remington 870 Wingmaster, all the way.
    When I was coming up, the only place we had to hunt was the Sandy Creek Wildlife Management Area outside of Natchez. Being public land, on the Mississippi/Louisiana line, those woods were hunted hard and heavy. As a result, the game there was very skittish. The squirrels both saw and heard you coming, long before you saw them. So much so, that you practically NEVER got a shot at a squirrel that was "sitting still". Any shot you got, was at a squirrel who was "on the run". If I'd hunted with a 22, no matter if LR or WMR, I'd have gone hungry.
    I went for RESULTS.

Blondie70, Cliff731 and Mesquite like this.
  14. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

TwangBanger... 12 gauge Wingmaster? Or one of the smaller bore sizes? :)

15. TwangBanger

Started out with a Wingmaster LW in 20 gauge, then graduated to 12 gauge. Full choke in both, shot #7.5's in the 20, and #6 in the 12 for a little extra "reach".

Blondie70, Cliff731 and 95 taco like this.
  16. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Simply for the sake of argument I disagree with you Twang! Hunting with a 12 gauge ain't hunting to me. If you didn't want the children to use a 22 I would at least start with a 410 then go to the rifle. We hunted almost everyday in our woods on Orange Grove Rd. All the way to where Northwood hills is now to the east and Canal Rd to the west. We at them tree rats and the rabbits we killed as well. Hunted with a single shot 22 and got real good at stalking them. Just way more fun than blowing the limbs out the trees!!

17. TwangBanger

To each his own, I guess. Like I said, I went for results; not "the hunt".
    Personally, I'd love to see someone hit a squirrel 40 yards up a tree, and running about 90 mph, jumping limbs as he goes. With a single shot 22, no less. I'll gladly tip my hat to them, and acknowledge them as "the Master", and a much better shot than I.

Cliff731 and Blondie70 like this.
  18. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

the last squirrel I shot was with a 12g low brass across the yard. no noticeable damage, but I wouldn't want to eat it and get random lead shot in my dumplins :)

a .22 pellet gun is how I shot most squirrels, fun, cheap, quiet, fun, challenging, skill building, and fun.

Quickeye and jakeg823 like this.
  19. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Y'all really want to start a war with the squirrels?

[​IMG]

20. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

We are Farmer's..........bumpa bum bum bump bump bum..........
    sq.jpg