Mississippi Gun Owners banner

.223 bulk ammo

7K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  jkpz28 
#1 ·
So does anyone know any good place to buy a good bit of target ammo? Ive been buying from academy lately only bc the Monarch rounds are cheap to target shoot with and before I sold my AR15 I zero issues with them. My MSAR-STG had some FTF issues but I think it was the magazines bc 2 of the 5 mags shot great, the other 3 had some issues.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Don't know your location, but if I was near the coast I'd be all over some of this:

http://www.msgunowners.com/t11893-ammo-for-sale-556-30-06762x54

#7 ·
Well I plan on purchasing a bulk order of ammo so Ill stay away from the steel. I did some research online and got alot of insight into the difference.

- harder on your reciever
- tends to dirty up the gun more
- less accurate do to no chamber expansion
- tend to jam alot

this are the general reponses Ive seen from my search

#13 ·
If you need some fast, the Federal bulk pack at WMart is $39.95/100rds. It's only the 55gr but we have used it in 100 yd matches and even at the 200 yd stage of HP matches with very good results. And it's brass, reloadable.

G
#19 ·
jkpz28 said:
So does anyone know any good place to buy a good bit of target ammo? Ive been buying from academy lately only bc the Monarch rounds are cheap to target shoot with and before I sold my AR15 I zero issues with them. My MSAR-STG had some FTF issues but I think it was the magazines bc 2 of the 5 mags shot great, the other 3 had some issues.
Are you saying you had a FTF (Failure to Fire) problem or a FTL (Failure to Load) problem with the magazines?

#20 ·
Both, I had shots where I pulled the trigger and got the click but it did not fire, I ejected the round and it was still a live round a few were emptied rounds. A few others were double feeds or at least it seemed that way bc the bolt would stop half way and there would be a round in the chamber and one in the breech. Im honestly not 100% sure. Im going to take my time and do some tests this weekend and see what happens.

I have a thread in the AK/AR Class III section discussing my woes with the MSAR. Turns out the Monarchs had some bad ammo here recently and that almost makes sense for me since I had some fairly old Monarch rounds that I never had issue with and then a few boxes of the new stuff that Academy yanked from the shelf. Luckily I have one box of the old stuff (its in a baby blue box) and one box of the newer monarchs (red box) that I get to test this weekend. Im going to pick up some quality rounds as well and try all three and see how it goes. My issues with firing and feeding were out of three of my 5 mags Im thinking the 3 bad mags had the newer junk monarch rounds and maybe that was causing all my issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.