Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
No experience but the ballistics charts make it look like the 22-250 just a little heavier. I like em!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I just bought one, a savage 112 vlp. It should come in sometime next week. I was trying to find something that I could both varmint hunt and deer hunt with. I think 25-06 should work.

·
Administrator
12,998 Posts
Shoot yeah it'll work. My cuz shot one and said he could see blood come out on the other side of a deer.

What glass are you putting on it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know yet. I will have to save up for a nice scope. I would like something around a 6-24x50. Someone needs to buy my Remington 7Mag. hint hint!

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Check out the mueller and millett scopes at midways. Very high reviews on both. Good scopes for the $$

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
Bushnell Tactical Elite 4200 6-24x50mm

I have 3 of em now...a bargain

25-06 might be a tad stout as a varmit gun....22-250 or 17HMF fits the bill a little better for varmit class critters...but will it do a prairie dog or coyote...Oh yeah....

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have one in a No1 Ruger, shoots around a 1/2 inch group with my handloads. You'll love it, a 117 is good medicine for deer.

J.B.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I have a Savage Model 111 in .25-06. Very accurate rifle. Problem is, that hasn't translated into DRT deer, like I've had with my .30-06. I lost 3 deer last season that I was pretty sure I hit, one I found blood, none on the other 2.

I was shooting a ballistic tip, and I blame that for it at this point. My answer was to go buy some Nosler partitions and start reloading my own. My intent is to hit em harder this year, and see how they like me now....

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
I've never had a bad outcome with Nosler ballistic tips...The accubonds suck

If Barnes makes a TSX in .25 I'd try that

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I have a bicentennial edition Ruger MK II in 25'06. I deer hunted with it for maybe 6 or 7 years. No problems. I still shoot it every year. Mine likes Federal Premium in Nosler ballistic tips. Great round. As with any round, shot placement is paramount.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I have loaded some Speer 100 grain HP's that shoot great and they'll make a good wound, if you don't see him fall he'll be easy to track.

J.B.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,309 Posts
I have some Lee 25-06 dies that i bought with a bunch of reloading stuff.. interested? I can hook you up for cheap cheap!!
I have no use for them.

Me and my buddy were talking about deer last night, My lil stevens .223 with 55gr FMJ Tula steel case cheap ammo, has dropped 7 deer DRT with 7 shots from 50-225yds. So i dont want to hear about yalls deer running off with the big guns :D
Even got a crow at 250yds and a coyote at 300..

·
Registered
311 Posts
.25-06 is a great cartridge. Man those bullets are really moving out and the trajectory is extremely flat. I know about the concern of such a small bullet on bigger game, but with the development of the newer solid bullets, the small bore guns can take on much bigger game than before. As nonnieelsman said, even a 223 FMJ can take a deer if you know what you're doing. I don't have a .25-06 any more, but I used to have an A-bolt in .25-06 and I sure miss it. Lots of respect for this cartridge.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Always wanted a good 25 caliber.. I actually think it is just about the perfect deer round. I like the 257 Bob also..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 257 Weatherby. Unfortunately I haven't shot a deer with it yet. But I love it at the range, very flat shooting.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts