Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,318 Posts
Id say the 160gr Nosler Partition or the 150gr Hornady SST.
i know a 130gr Partition will do some nasty damage on a hog, never got to shoot a blackbear tho.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have heard many folks using 243s on blackbear... So 270 would be fine IMO.. I think bullet type is more important than bullet weight though.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
swift a frame or a nosler partition would be my vote... keep a 45 on your hip with some HOT loads for just in case.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
130 or 150 shopuld do the job. Killed one with a 215 gr .303 British bullet and one witha 150 gr .30-30 bullet. They died easily. The bears were in new York's Adirondack Mountians.

Doug

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Dang I thought this was going to be an ole miss bashing thread

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have killed many bears while living in Alaska. They have heavy muscle. The difference between a bear and a deer is you want to break the shoulder of the bear...so he wont run off into thick brush. Tracking a wounded bear in thick brush can become spiritual quickly.

With that being said-they are not bullet proof. Use a heavy for caliber premium bullet and you will be fine. IF I were using a .270 I would look at the Barnes TSX bullet and feel very confident.

Please dont shoot a small one like over at Bass Pro Shop. They have one on dispaly there that is smaller than a black lab..If the ears are small in proportion to the head you are looking at a good bear. If the ears look small, you are looking at a very young bear.

Spring bears make great sausage!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My friend was living in south Carolina and only had a 270 he has since moved back to mississipi and is in the process of getting a bigger gun

1 - 14 of 14 Posts