Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the differences are between the 30-378 WBY and the 30-378 Wolfe Long?

I'm aware that Mr. Wolfe was a pioneer with the 30-378 round but I can't find any information on the changes he made to the round for it to get it's own designation of 30-378 Wolfe Long.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Wolfe did his before Weatherby did it therefore he can call it what ever he wants just like the .338 KT is the .338/378 weatherby now!!!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wolfe did his before Weatherby did it therefore he can call it what ever he wants just like the .338 KT is the .338/378 weatherby now!!!!
So is it the same round / chamber / dies etc? Are they identical?

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
I doubt they would be exactly the same as wildcatters very seldom have a cartridge adopted by the factory without some minor changes to reduce the factories liability!!! But I would imagine load data to be the same.

Reactions: oO_Rogue_Oo

·
Super Moderator
13,395 Posts
Rogue that's too many numbers and decimals and slash marks. Quit confusing me and you both and just get a .308 or .300 mag for long stuff and a .243 for anything less than 600 yards. Where you gonna get brass for all those dashes, slashes, and decimal points? Let's make stuff easier, not harder.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
I will give you one more thing to ponder and that barrel life with either cartridge with meticulous care and good luck will be 1000 rounds or less!!!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rogue that's too many numbers and decimals and slash marks. Quit confusing me and you both and just get a .308 or .300 mag for long stuff and a .243 for anything less than 600 yards. Where you gonna get brass for all those dashes, slashes, and decimal points? Let's make stuff easier, not harder.
Brass is easy; its a 378 WBY mag necked to 30cal. And I just like oddball stuff. Just an FYI its my understanding that the 30-378 wby was the first round to score 10X at a 1000yrds and held the record for 30 years. And I'm pretty sure it is still the most powerful factory 30 cal round made.

Thinking about adding to my Hi-Wall collection :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will give you one more thing to ponder and that barrel life with either cartridge with meticulous care and good luck will be 1000 rounds or less!!!!
Even with 200gr bullets? The load data I'm seeing puts them at 3100fps or so.

EDIT: Although thats with a 26" barrel and I'd want to go 32". From what I'm reading it really wants at least a 32"

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Yup 200 grain bullet over 110 + grains of powder!!! yes that much powder being burned through a 30 cal neck eats a barrel fast my friend!!!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If thats what you want then go for it. And I'd love to shoot it. I like oddball too but brass that is anything weatherby is out of my price range. It would definitely be cool though. And that means something.
So just a little chit chat: The round was designed in 1959 (year of my birth), is one of those forgotten rounds largely replaced by the 300 win mag although the 30-378 still has superior ballistics. These days the rare usage is Alaskan bear. But as a target rifle would be a rarity; the kind of thing that you would go years before seeing another. I'm just playing with the idea as a birthday present to myself. We all have at least one gun that is more of an emotional thing than a practical thing; this would be mine.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
The reason it didn't catch on early were there were no powders slow enough on the market to give it any advantage over the smaller magnums. The .338 KT I built years ago was a 32 inch heavy barrel and at the 2000 round mark the barrel had been set back so many times it was down to 27 inches and the lands in the barrel were nearly non existent!!! I was shooting 250 grainers in it!!!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup 200 grain bullet over 110 + grains of powder!!! yes that much powder being burned through a 30 cal neck eats a barrel fast my friend!!!!
Just a thought; playing with the idea for sentimental reasons.

I'm seeing load data from 125gr bullets at 3800+fps to 220gr bullets at 2800+fps

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason it didn't catch on early were there were no powders slow enough on the market to give it any advantage over the smaller magnums. The .338 KT I built years ago was a 32 inch heavy barrel and at the 2000 round mark the barrel had been set back so many times it was down to 27 inches and the lands in the barrel were nearly non existent!!! I was shooting 250 grainers in it!!!!
People still swear it is the flattest factory 30cal out there.

Guess I would HAVE to own a reammer huh? LOL

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
It is a smoker no doubt and if I had the money to have one and keep it in barrels I would have one just like I would have another .338KT I did keep my dies for it just in case!!!!!

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Yup you would need a reamer as I don't know of any gunsmiths currently chambering for it! Yes to date I do believe it is the fastest and flattest .30 out there other than some real exotic wild cats out there based on the .505 gibs and the 50 BMG case with barrel lives under 500 rounds

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a set of Wolfe dies; I guess the first thing I need to do is run a few cases through it and take some measurements to see exactly what the differences are. Not sure a Wolfe reamer can still be found

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
PTG will make your reamer to your dimensions.

·
Super Moderator
13,395 Posts
Just a thought; playing with the idea for sentimental reasons.

I'm seeing load data from 125gr bullets at 3800+fps to 220gr bullets at 2800+fps
Unfortunately I'm a sucker for sentiment. I understand completely.
Between Sum Gy, my buddy up here with a penchant for oddballs and wildcats, and what I run up on, we can keep you in reamers, barrels, and brass.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PTG will make your reamer to your dimensions.
I can't find ANY specs on the 30-378 Wolfe Long. I've got a set of RCBS dies for it though. WOuld RCBS be able to give me specs on it if I called them? I'd need a drawing to get PTG to machine a reamer right? Or would they have the drawing on file?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts