Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Send them a full length sized case and they will cut you a reamer!!!!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Send them a full length sized case and they will cut you a reamer!!!!
Only problem with that is not being 100% sure on overall case length. I'm guessing it would be the same as the 378 parent case?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Another silly question but this is new to me. What would the approx cost of having a reamer like that done?

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
200 bucks or there about and what would difference would the length make if you are going to use the same brass length you send them and they cut the reamer for that length?

Reactions: oO_Rogue_Oo

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
200 bucks or there about and what would difference would the length make if you are going to use the same brass length you send them and they cut the reamer for that length?
Well not trying to invent a new cartridge; would want to stick to Mr. Wolfe's specs

EDIT: for that day that I ran into the other person in the world that had a rifle chambered in it so we could fire each others ammo :lol6:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
And just an FYI; when you google 30-378 Wolfe Long now; this thread is the second link that shows up after the wiki for the 30-378 wby

EDIT: Guess I did my part to make MSGO famous :lol6:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Do you happen to know of Mr. Howard Wolfe is still alive? Last I see is someone saying they ordered a rifle from him in 2002

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Well my birthday is the end of May so I have some time and honestly it may be August before I can really afford it. Sounds like a $2k project but I think it would end up being an heirloom rifle.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
2K?? :lol6: You gotta be kidding!!!! :lol6::lol6:

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
AAHH OK Sorry man!!!!!;)

Reactions: fordpkup

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
In my dreams though I COULD find a 30-06 high-wall and cut the chamber and MAYBE not have to buy a barrel :)

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
Hard to find a Hi wall in .30/06 with a 32 inch heavy barrel and I think you might need to do some in depth studying into the strength of the modern Hi wall actions available!! Weatherby cartridges operate at somewhat higher pressures than most other rounds>

Reactions: oO_Rogue_Oo

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hard to find a Hi wall in .30/06 with a 32 inch heavy barrel and I think you might need to do some in depth studying into the strength of the modern Hi wall actions available!! Weatherby cartridges operate at somewhat higher pressures than most other rounds>
Yeah I had wondered about strength and I doubt I would want to do it if I couldn't do it in a rolling block action. Everyone has their pet gun styles that are their favorites. Well for me the rolling block just gets my heart pumping and reaches me in ways that no other rifle can.

After you finished up with the 45-70 of mine I got it out to the range and shot that thing damn near till my shoulder fell off. When I got too sore to keep going I folded up a flannel shirt, threw it over my shoulder and must've put another 10 rounds through it. I was sore for days, with the biggest smile you ever saw :)

EDIT: And that kind of joy is worth almost any price :)

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Found some information on the Uberti High-wall; they say 28,000 PSI (45/70 need to do more research of other calibers) limit. Sounds like I need to look at the Sharps to see if it is any stronger but not looking promising

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I had a 30-378 wea. that shot great. It was unbelieveable accurate. I didn't keep it long. Was expensive to load for. I was shooting 120 gr of powder per pop. The rifle had a 8x32x56 Nightforce scope and was amazing.

I sold it for a big profit and was happy to get rid of it. Now I'm working on a different caliber that's more enjoyable to play with a 300 aac blackout. A top load for it uses 17.2 gr of powder Quite a difference in load cost.

I killed a deer with the 300 last week just as dead at 150 yds as the 30-378 would have. with a whole lot less recoil.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts