Mississippi Gun Owners banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I had a 30-378 wea. that shot great. It was unbelieveable accurate. I didn't keep it long. Was expensive to load for. I was shooting 120 gr of powder per pop. The rifle had a 8x32x56 Nightforce scope and was amazing.

I sold it for a big profit and was happy to get rid of it. Now I'm working on a different caliber that's more enjoyable to play with a 300 aac blackout. A top load for it uses 17.2 gr of powder Quite a difference in load cost.

I killed a deer with the 300 last week just as dead at 150 yds as the 30-378 would have. with a whole lot less recoil.
You happen to have an old case or two lying around? Trying to find the difference between the WBY and the Wolfe Long. Can't find any information on the Wolfe Long though

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Sorry when I got rid of rifle I let everything I had go in the deal. Wasn't ever planning on going back to burning that much powder per shot again. I let buyer have everything I had dies and all.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Might find a set of old P O Ackley books they delt with a lot of wildcat cartridges in those books probably had the wolf long listed in it. My son got my Ackley books years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
And just an FYI; when you google 30-378 Wolfe Long now; this thread is the second link that shows up after the wiki for the 30-378 wby

EDIT: Guess I did my part to make MSGO famous :lol6:
I know... I know...., new guy here and right off the bat he dredges up an old thread!

Well, I did just what Rogue, said above. Registered, and here I am because of this thread.

I am a cartridge collector and thought I would share a couple of images with you.

I do not have a 30-378 Wolfe Long and am not familiar with it. Nor do I have the 30-378 Wby. So, what exactly is it that I'm doing, right?! I am showing the 30-378 Wolfe compared to the 378 Wby Mag (and a .22!). I think, obviously, if you neck down the 378, the shoulder angle would change (away from the famous Wby sharp shoulder angle), which would shorten the case, as well. I measured the diff of the above 2 and get an OAL difference of ~0.300".

I can measure any of the other case dimensions, if anyone is interested.

One more thing... is an Idahoan allowed on Mississippi Forum?!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I know... I know...., new guy here and right off the bat he dredges up an old thread!

Well, I did just what Rogue, said above. Registered, and here I am because of this thread.

I am a cartridge collector and thought I would share a couple of images with you.

I do not have a 30-378 Wolfe Long and am not familiar with it. Nor do I have the 30-378 Wby. So, what exactly is it that I'm doing, right?! I am showing the 30-378 Wolfe compared to the 378 Wby Mag (and a .22!). I think, obviously, if you neck down the 378, the shoulder angle would change (away from the famous Wby sharp shoulder angle), which would shorten the case, as well. I measured the diff of the above 2 and get an OAL difference of ~0.300".

I can measure any of the other case dimensions, if anyone is interested.

One more thing... is an Idahoan allowed on Mississippi Forum?!
Welcome and thanks for posting.

With so little information, I kind of let this wither on the vine in favor of other projects that offered quicker results and therefore kept my interest, LOL

Rereading through this old thread has got me thinking again. I should get back to researching.

Reactions: Quigley
41 - 45 of 45 Posts