Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an AR10 but am thinking about getting another .308 semi. What would you all recommend? FAL clone, G3 clone, M1A? Anything you would stay away from (like a CETME)? I've seen some SAR8s and SAR48s that would be pretty nice, but I can't decide on anything.

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
FAL or M1A besides the AR10, in my opinion. My opinion isn't worth much though. These are the only 3 that I've shot and I loved them all. It would be hard for me to narrow it down to one. The Fal and M1A both have a long pedigree and well deserved reputation. My son's AR10 is the only one of the 3 that we own and its actually second on my wish list, the other 2 are tied for first.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FAL or M1A besides the AR10, in my opinion. My opinion isn't worth much though. These are the only 3 that I've shot and I loved them all. It would be hard for me to narrow it down to one. The Fal and M1A both have a long pedigree and well deserved reputation. My son's AR10 is the only one of the 3 that we own and its actually second on my wish list, the other 2 are tied for first.
I'm leaning toward toward the FAL right now. My main problem is that I don't know a whole lot about them, and I don't know anyone that has one to check out. An FN SAFN in 30-06 would be nice too...

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
DC where you located? I bet somebody close has an FAL they might let you shoot. My son and I shot our first 2 a week or so ago at Riverbillys' shoot. Tall Boy was kind enough to bring them for my son and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Much more comfortable for me and the kid than his AR10. My pawn shop buddy has a decent Argentine FAL at a fair/decent price if you decide to go that route. If you're anywhere near Columbus I could probably get him to let us bring it to my place if you want to try it.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are too good. I'm in the Jackson area but come to Columbus every now and then to see family. How much is he asking for the FAL? I haven't been looking for long, but the lowest I've seen one go for is $1300. Trying to learn more about which ones are good and which ones to stay away from so I don't make a $1300 mistake.

·
Morte
4,278 Posts
If you already have an AR10, why don't you get another one, so the mags you already have can be used?

I'm going by the word "battle rifle" in your title, but would want two of the same in case one gets damaged, it can be used for parts

·
Registered
10,136 Posts
I've got an AR10 but am thinking about getting another .308 semi. What would you all recommend? FAL clone, G3 clone, M1A? Anything you would stay away from (like a CETME)? I've seen some SAR8s and SAR48s that would be pretty nice, but I can't decide on anything.
An SAR48 is a Brazilian Imbel manufactured metric FAL imported (and marked as SA) by Springfield Armory. An SAR4800 is essentially the same, but post-ban, so needs some US made 922R compliance parts to back convert it to an SAR48 (and, what I have been given to understand is a blind-pinned dongle covering the flash suppressor threads removed). Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You guys are too good. I'm in the Jackson area but come to Columbus every now and then to see family. How much is he asking for the FAL? I haven't been looking for long, but the lowest I've seen one go for is $1300. Trying to learn more about which ones are good and which ones to stay away from so I don't make a $1300 mistake.
Argentine FALs are usually good ones, built in Argentina with equipment made by FN in Belgium. If you make it up to the Tupelo area, I'd be happy to let you shoot mine.
Tall

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
DC where you located? I bet somebody close has an FAL they might let you shoot. My son and I shot our first 2 a week or so ago at Riverbillys' shoot. Tall Boy was kind enough to bring them for my son and I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Much more comfortable for me and the kid than his AR10. My pawn shop buddy has a decent Argentine FAL at a fair/decent price if you decide to go that route. If you're anywhere near Columbus I could probably get him to let us bring it to my place if you want to try it.
Argentine FALs are usually good ones, built in Argentina with equipment made by FN in Belgium. If you make it up to the Tupelo area, I'd be happy to let you shoot mine.
Tall
He's asking 1200, but cash talks.
Tall Boy I figured you would offer if you saw this post. Jack is still talking about your rifles and asking me if I have talked to you again. You made a great impression on a nearly bullet proof kid and I thank you.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
older dsa stg are about the best in the fn fal world for price and quality. I had one and they are sweet. the only reason I got rid of it was my own disability. not being 100% comfortable with .308 recoil and my disease.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
He's asking 1200, but cash talks.
Tall Boy I figured you would offer if you saw this post. Jack is still talking about your rifles and asking me if I have talked to you again. You made a great impression on a nearly bullet proof kid and I thank you.
You're quite welcome. But, I think the great impression came from the riFALs. The way he was ripping through that magazine I figured he got comfortable with it very quickly. I forgot to pull the magazine that caused the failure to feed, but I've got it narrowed down to three magazines. I'll get it weeded out.
I wouldn't sell my Argie for 1200 (probably not the STG58C, either), but I've become pretty attached to them.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have a M1A and love it. Its extremely accurate ( shoots better than I can ). M1As today are extremely expensive and the mags for them are like buying gold. Not sure why they are that way. I have never shot a FAL but have heard good things about them. :2cents::uzi:

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you already have an AR10, why don't you get another one, so the mags you already have can be used?

I'm going by the word "battle rifle" in your title, but would want two of the same in case one gets damaged, it can be used for parts
I used battle rifle to refer to a service-type rifle shooting a full power round, not really to refer to how I'll use it.

I've seen and shot so many ARs that I don't get excited when I see one. It's like a continental breakfast at a hotel. It'll get the job done, but it doesn't do anything for me. If the times comes when I need to grab a gun, I'll grab an AR (and my spare parts). In the meantime, I want to have some fun with something with some history behind it.

·
Senior Curmudgeon
601 Posts
Had a FNFAL that was completely reliable and shot 3-4 MOA at 100yds. Got rid of it only because 7.62 ammo got so more expensive than .30-06, and it was my only 308 rifle. It just seemed to duplicate most of my Garands with no great advantage, but required a different ammo caliber to be stocked. Sold it for the price of an M1A and bought 2 more Garands and a bunch of ammo. If for some reason I HAD to have a 308 rifle, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Reactions: phillipd and DC7

·
Premium Member
20,397 Posts
:yeah:

Reactions: phillipd

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
An SAR48 is a Brazilian Imbel manufactured metric FAL imported (and marked as SA) by Springfield Armory. An SAR4800 is essentially the same, but post-ban, so needs some US made 922R compliance parts to back convert it to an SAR48 (and, what I have been given to understand is a blind-pinned dongle covering the flash suppressor threads removed). Good stuff.
I've heard good things about the SAR48. Stuff like second only to an original FN. Any idea of what would be a good price for one?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts