Mississippi Gun Owners banner

380 Auto; Do you have a favorite 380 load, load heavy bullets, or load Lehigh bullets?

4220 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  DoyleAlley
I am just wondering if anyone hear has had luck loading 380 Auto? Do you have a favorite load? Have you ever loaded heavy bullets; 100 gr, 110 gr, 115 gr; for 380 ACP? Has anyone loaded Lehigh Defense 65 gr Xtreme Defense or 90 gr Xtreme Perpetrator?

I have done a little search on MSGO and found were some had talked about 130 gr subsonic loads that are not available anymore and how they cannot find subsonic data for heavy bullets like 124 gr. I've done my part on finding load data for 100, 110, and 115 gr loads. It seems for a self-defense loads Hornady 90 gr XTP is the way to go for mild expansion with 12-18 inch penetration.
Reactions: 1
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
ALL .380 loads except some custom high-power stuff are going to be subsonic. I carry factory Hornady XTP in mine.
I'm using Liberty Civil Defense 50 gr HP's. Supersonic at 1500 fps.

See less See more
The last time I had a .380, either Ford or Carter was pres. Imagine the paucity of viable .380 defense rounds then. Did Supervel load a .380?
Did Supervel load a .380?
Yes, back in the '70s if I recall. Wasn't it a really light bullet though (like maybe 85gr?).
Yes, back in the '70s if I recall. Wasn't it a really light bullet though (like maybe 85gr?).
Sounds about right.
I might have been the one talking about 130gr 380 Auto ammo. Back in the 80s MAC was looking for more "punch" from 380 Auto ammo being run through the M-11 SMG. Yes, the 95gr bullet is already subsonic. A 130gr bullet at close to 95gr speeds just helps up the bullet energy. I think it was Winchester that made the ammo for a short period of time. Maybe they didn't want the general public running that ammo in small pistols.

My 380 Auto loads are 3.2gr to 3.4gr of Win 231 with a 95-100gr bullet. Never looked at loading for hi-speed lighter fancy bullets, as I was just trying to feed my M-11.

Reactions: 2
The last time I had a .380, either Ford or Carter was pres. Imagine the paucity of viable .380 defense rounds then. Did Supervel load a .380?
I understand that most factory
380 Auto loads are roughly 775 to 975 fps ish and highly dependent on barrel length as to the performance. Before everyone chimes in with their favorite hotrod boutique ammo manufacturer loads the same 90 and 95 gr bullets to well over 1000 fps, I aware it is possible. I understand that the muzzle velocity needs to reach 1116 fps to be supersonic

This thought process started with (*cough* before) buying a Ruger LCP and the local gun stores not having the ammo I was looking to buy. If I'm real honest, I've been thinking about it when I was researching the king of mouse calibers, 380 ACP.

Just wondering if anyone has done some hand loading for the caliber.
Reactions: 2
@SubGunFan Yes, it was your post about the 130 grain 380 auto.
Thinking about adding .380 to my reload list.
Thinking about adding .380 to my reload list.
I could never reload .380 because my little LCP launches brass somewhere into the next county.
Reactions: 4
I load the xtps and 90 grain lead with BE-86
I load the xtps and 90 grain lead with BE-86
Do you load anything else with BE-86? I've got a bottle that I was wanting to use with .357 LWCs.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.