Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who reloads 380? Debating on whether or not I want to start.

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Might as well. You already have the 356 projectile for the 9 and 38 supper.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
Who reloads 380? Debating on whether or not I want to start.
Randy @Southern Reloading does. He loads some bunny fart loads that are just barely potent enough cycle the action. He developed the light loads to encourage his wife and daughter to practice more. The ultra-lightweight Ruger LCP was hurting their hands and knuckles from recoil under factory loads.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,435 Posts
I reload 380, just not a whole lot. I just don't shoot the LCP or Keltec much. I think over all I may have reloaded a hundred or so rounds in the last 3-4 years.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might as well. You already have the 356 projectile for the 9 and 38 supper.
Yeah, but the heaviest load data I found is for 100 grain bullets. Might have to dig around in my stash to see if I have any lighter 38 bullets I can try resizing.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Yeah, but the heaviest load data I found is for 100 grain bullets. Might have to dig around in my stash to see if I have any lighter 38 bullets I can try resizing.
Lyman has data on 115 JHP, Lee also has a very small amount,
I treat 380 brass like it has leprosy. Straight out of the house. (ha ha, guess I should save it)

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Lee has a 95 grain that works well. No point in loading heavy,there isn’t enough case (or pistol in most cases) to justify it.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lee has a 95 grain that works well. No point in loading heavy,there isn’t enough case (or pistol in most cases) to justify it.
Yeah, but I'll have to buy a mold that throws a lighter boolit :p

The Lyman cast book has a load for a 120 grain boolit, which is still lighter than anything my molds will throw. The lightest bullets I've got are a couple hundred 105 grain cast boolits left from Summers Enterpises.

·
Premium Member
15,683 Posts
Yeah, but I'll have to buy a mold that throws a lighter boolit :p

The Lyman cast book has a load for a 120 grain boolit, which is still lighter than anything my molds will throw. The lightest bullets I've got are a couple hundred 105 grain cast boolits left from Summers Enterpises.
Want to borrow mine? I can get it for younext week

Reactions: BasMstr

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Since the ammo shortage began I noticed that .380 was even more difficult to find than the other (also hard to find) cartridges. It's also been fairly expensive. If you are going to rely on or shoot a lot of .380 it'd definitely worthwhile to reload it.

I have brass and dies for the little things, as I used to reload it. I sold my last .380 pistol years ago so haven't messed with it in a while. As others have noted, the tiny cases and bullets aren't the easiest to handle during reloading. On the positive side of the equation, .380 uses very little powder compared to most pistol cases. I sold my last .380 because new, subcompact 9s came onto the market which were as small as most .380s and significantly more powerful. I then sold my last sub-compact 9 when I acquired a S&W j frame .357 snubbie and started using that for daily carry (note that I still own several nines, but no more sub-compacts).

Best
Doc

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I found out the daughter-in-law had a 380 and my son had a 9mm so I ordered die sets and molds. We went to the gun range, they shot factory ammo. They shot the reloads in my 38spl too. I loaded them 5 boxes of ammo each with different loads of powder for them to see which they liked. By the time they got the reloads they had traded the 380 for a 38spl.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If I remember correctly, when I started experimenting with 380, I used a 223 REM sizer and 9mm expander, seat and crimp dies. I had to lube the cases for the size die. It wasn’t long before I bought a set of 380 dies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Years ago I loaded some. Found that tiny case just too small for my fat fingers to handle easily.
FWIW, even the 380 is 9mm Kurz (short), the head is diffrent (smallelr) than the luger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts