Mississippi Gun Owners banner

.44 mag lite loads

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Free_Stater 
#1 ·
I have just obtained a Mod. 29 S & W (4" bbl.) and want to load some .44 special type of soft loads in .44 mag cases. Does anyone have any experience, recommendations or tips. Thanks...

#5 ·
I'm open to suggestions. I have never loaded for handguns and will have to get powder, primers and bullets. I'd like some powder that would do double duty for .45 colt, if possible. I haven't even looked in the books, yet. Just thought I'd see if I could borrow some experience...

#6 ·
cheap and easy is bullseye. can be loaded in pretty much every handgun out there. downside is its DIRTY your gun is gonna look like you been in a coal mine lol. Next would be 231. lots cleaner. but a little more $. My number one powders are the Vihtavuori family. Super clean, tite groups, but are more $ than 231

#7 ·
My light 44mag load is 7.0gr of Win 231 with a 255gr. Keith lead bullet.

PS: I agree...... NO light 44mag and PIGS....... While I have never shot at a wild hog with anything, I would want the BIGGEST... BADEST round for those thick-skinned bad-ass mofos...............

#8 ·
I haven't gotten around to 44 mag or 44 specials yet

when I do, I'm probably gonna try unique...then maybe bullseye

I could care less how "dirty" my gun gets

I also like Sub's Win 231 load...I'd suggest getting a reloading book

Bullseye is very economical.....It the world were coming to an end and I could only have one powder for handguns it would be Unique

#13 ·
I may have gotten in the .44 mag. mode a little prematurely, seems the seller on gunbroker, in Natchez is not a FFL holder and doesn't want me to come pick up the pistol. My FFL questions how he is going to get it here since UPS, nor USPS will take a pistol from a non-FFL and I don't think he could insure it without revealing the contents of the package. The only reason I bid was that he was close enough to go get it. Any comments (I'm sure there are some)?

#17 ·
The UPS place here won't take a pistol. I tried to ship one back to Taurus for service several months ago and they said they wouldn't even take a magazine. The post office finally took it since I was shipping back to factory. Maybe a Colt is different, ought to be, anyway. Anyhow, I'm not going to send several hundred bucks to someone for a pistol to be shipped with questionable (or no) insurance, just sayin'. By the way, I'm over 21 several times...

#21 ·
Methos said:
I know what your thinking... being you're talking about a .44 magnum and a 300gr XTP over 19.0gr of H110 will blow your headCLEAN OFF

do you feel lucky? Well.... :gun2:

...for light loads, of which I don't load much as all, I use Unique and lead bullets.
Funny that years later you find out he was really using a 41 mag for the stunts to handle the recoil! Things aren't always as they appear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.