Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to develop some plinking loads for my Super Red Hawk that will also shoot in my Henry Big Boy. I'm using the Lee plain base bullet. One of the powders I'm using is has very little data listed for cast boolits as it is a Maxam Shotgun powder used by RIO.

Here are some test results from this last weekend. The below information is for you to compare to your own data that you have verified via a verified load data source. If people are interested in additional information I'll continue to post as I test additional loads. Or, if anyone has any suggestions to try, if I got the powder I'll give them a try.

Gun: Ruger Super Red Hawk
Bullet: Lee 429-200-RF in a plain base
Lube: White Label Lube Blue Carnauba
Sized: .431
COL: 1.551
Lead: WW + 1 1/2 Sn. BHN ~ 12.5 - 13.0
Primer: CCI Large Pistol Magnum - short on regular LP primers so using magnums. In a Henry Big boy the CCI LPM was about 70 fps faster than a Winchester LP. But, the difference in primers was not chronographed in the Super Red Hawk.
Powder Settling Technique: None - loaded straight from ammo box with bullet facing down and placed straight into cylinder.
Temperature: 85 F

# shots Powder Wt Velocity Extreme Spread Group Notes
8 Maxam CSB-1 8.5 1,117 53 fps 2.4" no leading
5 Maxam CSB-1 9.0 1,166 53 fps 1.0" no leading
5 Maxam CSB-1 9.0 1,180 22 fps 1.7" no leading
5 Maxam CSB-1 9.5 1,227 7 fps 1.1" very slight leading along thrust side of rifling but very acceptable
5 Maxam CSB-1 10.0 1,256 42 fps 1.4" very slight leading along thrust side of rifling but acceptable

I had not tried CSB-1 in this gun only in a Henry Big Boy. In the Henry Big Boy the above loads ran 120 fps - 150 fps faster shot in 65 F degree temperature. The above loads chrono'd faster than I expected thus I will be testing some loads below 8.5 grains of CSB-1. I will be targeting loads in the 950 - 1,050 fps range in my SRH. Hoping in the Henry Big Boy to come in the mid 1,100's to low 1,200's.

More testing with different powders. All the above parameters are the same except for those listed below

Sized: .430
Lead: 50% Range Lead / 50% WW + Sn to fill out mold ~ 1.0%. BHN ~ 10.5

# shots Powder Wt Velocity Extreme Spread Group Notes
5 Red Dot 6.0 976 45 fps 1.4" very mild load, no leading
5 Red Dot 7.0 1,090 55 fps 2.4" mild load, no leading. Pulled one shot 1.0".
5 Unique 8.0 1,057 71 fps 1.6" no leading, a little smoky as compared to other loads
4 Unique 8.5 1,126 46 fps 0.6" no leading, less smoky than 8.0

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks
I can't get stuff to line up in columns. It looks right on the screen then when I save it deletes the spaces in between the columns😤.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I do very much enjoy reading Load data performance reports from other like mindeed people that take the craft seriously. This is why I try to mentor new hand loaders. It is easy to watch or read any of the inaccurate and or dangerous methods that widely circulate online and think "ok, this is how you reload" I have watched videos of guys with a press, load random powder and primers and go. Eventually it always ends badly for them or someone else.
It is labor of love to develope great loads that perform how we want them to in a given firearm. Keep working and posting your data. I commend your efforts and commitment to the craft.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had one person suggest blue dot for medium to light loads that is a knowledge reloader. Anyone know what powders are least position sensitive for moderate 44 mag loads. Got 500 44 special cases on their way so will likely switch to 44 special cases for light loads in my SRH and save my mag brass for full power loads. Should reduce my extreme spreads by using 44 special cases. My definition of light is 900-1,050 fps range in my SRH. Of the light loads also tested in my Henry Big Boy, the rifle runs 100-150 fps faster with fast powders. Now when I move to slow burning full house loads where the barrel length can advantage of the extra length i get 300 fps faster with W296/H-110 than I get in my ŚRH.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts