Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out shooting today and I ran in to a problem with split cases. I've shot about 30 to 40 rounds of this ammo and had about 10 case that ruptured or split. The gun I was shooting is a marlin 1894 that I bought new last Christmas. Could it be the ammo or is it the gun itself?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Could be either. All in the same spot which is interesting. Do you want me to measure some cases fired in my 44's. Maybe if your case is bigger fired in your gun than those in mine, that seems to indicate a case issue, but I'm guessing. There are others on this board much more experienced than i in such matters. Maybe they will be along soon. Also might want to try some different ammo...something where the brass is manufactured in the US. Most case splits i have had, have been foreign brass...especially korean.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan to do some more testing with different ammo. I'm hoping it's just the ammo I would hate to send the gun back this close to deer season. I did tear the gun down completely and inspect the chamber for burrs it all looks real smooth. I shouldn't have problems with a new gun but with QC at marlin you never know what your gonna get.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
Chamber might be a little on the large size?

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
I don't like that they all split in the same area...that could indicate a bad chamber. I'd try a different brand of ammo just to see if the same thing happens if it were my gun, but I hesitate to make that recommendation to others since split cases can cause damage and injury from the escaping hot gasses. You might want to tie the gun into a tire and fire it from a distance.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't like that they all split in the same area...that could indicate a bad chamber. I'd try a different brand of ammo just to see if the same thing happens if it were my gun, but I hesitate to make that recommendation to others since split cases can cause damage and injury from the escaping hot gasses. You might want to tie the gun into a tire and fire it from a distance.
Me and my wife have both shot this gun and I didn't notice any problems till the last couple shots. That's when I started inspecting the cases and I found the problems

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did some measuring of the fired cases that didn't split and they all came out to about 10 to 15 thousands larger than the factory ammo. My assumption is that either theres a burr or imperfections in the chamber or this ammo is no good.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,330 Posts
Amen to your replies. I have several 44mag revolvers and a rifle and Ruger carbine. I have never experienced that problem. I would inspect the chamber as you have and try a couple different brands. Since it just started doing this seems to point to the ammo or the gun.
I would call Fiocchi and ask if they have had a recall on that lot of ammunition. Then I would call Remington and see if they have had a problem with this rifle barrel. I hope that is the ammo.This ammo could have excessive pressure or the chamber is too large. I would also wire brush and clean the chamber and barrel.

Reactions: Soonered

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Amen to your replies. I have several 44mag revolvers and a rifle and Ruger carbine. I have never experienced that problem. I would inspect the chamber as you have and try a couple different brands. Since it just started doing this seems to point to the ammo or the gun.
I would call Fiocchi and ask if they have had a recall on that lot of ammunition. Then I would call Remington and see if they have had a problem with this rifle barrel. I hope that is the ammo.This ammo could have excessive pressure or the chamber is too large. I would also wire brush and clean the chamber and barrel.
I have read on different forums that the marlin 1894 has a generous chamber but I will do more testing next week and inspecting and keep you guys posted

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,737 Posts
If it just started all of a sudden I'd be looking at the ammo. Chamber I wouldn't think would all of a sudden grow.

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Working a gun range someone was always coming in with a new to them gun and some great and crap ammo with them. If it was what I shoot, rebox the empties for me.
First, they wanted to shoot at 50 feet and complain about hitting the target. I'd tell them to back down to 5 yards. Where did you aim and where did you hit. Then to the 10, 15 yard targets.
I was given Fiocchi ammo and cases, they reload and shot well.
What is Fiocchi 's head stamp?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts