Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a pistol suppressor, just wondering what opinions are out there. Looking at the Griffin Rev 45 since i already have 1 Griffin Paladin and have been really impressed with it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I have an Octane 45 2.0 that's great on 9, 45 pistols and a Sub 2000.
It's the only pistol suppressor I have, so I can't compare it to anything else.
Surprisingly quiet on 9mm; at least to my ears anyway.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
11,480 Posts
No experience with 45 can. All mine are 223, 22, 308, and 9mm. Griffin makes top notch stuff so can’t go wrong. Dead air as well. I’ve been thinking about a 45 can myself for awhile but haven’t pulled the trigger. I was torn between the dead air ghost M and the rugged obsidian. If was gonna order one right now it’d be the rugged.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
For most people, the trifecta of a rimfire can, a 30cal can and a 45 can is the best way to go. With those 3 you can suppress easily 95% of what is in most people's safes. The 45 can is going to give up a little on weight when used on a 9mm gun versus a 9mm can that will generally be shorter, but at the gain of some versatility. And with a 9mm end cap on a 45 can, the 45 can is generally a little quieter than a comparable 9mm can just from the increase in volume. So you aren't really giving up much to go to the 45. If you're only going to buy one pistol can, buy a 45.

Your choices these days are great, and between Griffin, Rugged, Dead Air, YHM and more, it's really hard to go wrong. I have a couple of griffin cans that I have enjoyed, and the rest of mine are Rugged, so I definitely lean towards those two brands. Griffin I think edges Rugged out just a little on modularity alone. They have QD options for their revolution cans that allow mounting on flashhiders that Rugged does not offer, but I think the Rugged suppressors are more aesthetically pleasing for what that's worth. Modularity and adaptability is a huge selling point to me for a product that is for all purposes a lifetime purchase.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Rifle rounds larger than .300. That's the hole in the trifecta. That's what I have. Octane .45 from the SWR days. Silencerco Omega .300 and a Dead Air Mask for .22. If you want to suppress .350 Legend, .35 Whelen, .338 Federal, 45-70, or in my case .357 Mag from a short lever action you'll run into issues. My point being look at the pressures and caliber ratings for the .45 cans you want to buy and think about what you might shoot in the future. My Omega is restricted to 30 caliber or smaller. My Octane can handle up to .45 caliber but is not rated for rifle rounds. Silencerco says .357 should be OK at 16" barrel length. Dedicated handgun silencer can be lighter weight. A hybrid can built to handle higher pressures can be used on more guns but you pay the weight penalty, usually. If I were buying another can today I'd look at a hybrid like the Dead Air Primal that was just released. LIsted at 16 ounces vs 12/9 ounces for the Ghost. I don't know Griffin products but it's hard to go wrong with any of the major companies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rifle rounds larger than .300. That's the hole in the trifecta. That's what I have. Octane .45 from the SWR days. Silencerco Omega .300 and a Dead Air Mask for .22. If you want to suppress .350 Legend, .35 Whelen, .338 Federal, 45-70, or in my case .357 Mag from a short lever action you'll run into issues. My point being look at the pressures and caliber ratings for the .45 cans you want to buy and think about what you might shoot in the future. My Omega is restricted to 30 caliber or smaller. My Octane can handle up to .45 caliber but is not rated for rifle rounds. Silencerco says .357 should be OK at 16" barrel length. Dedicated handgun silencer can be lighter weight. A hybrid can built to handle higher pressures can be used on more guns but you pay the weight penalty, usually. If I were buying another can today I'd look at a hybrid like the Dead Air Primal that was just released. LIsted at 16 ounces vs 12/9 ounces for the Ghost. I don't know Griffin products but it's hard to go wrong with any of the major companies.
The Bowers Dreadnought is what you want, it's good on anything up to .460 and really reduces recoil on the big guns. You have to call to get it, it's not listed on their site. I have a picture of our guide sleeping while 7 or 8 high power rifles are going off around him, all wearing Dreadnoughts or VERS 30 cans. Good times.

·
Premium Member
13,770 Posts
After looking at different options I went with the Octane 45. I use it on 9mm, .40 S&W, 10mm, 45 ACP, subsonic .300BO and subsonic .30-30. I wanted one that would handle full power 10mm loads. Many of the .45 cans were not rated for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts