45 Colt

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by rigrat, Apr 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Ok who among you has a 45 colt and shoots it? Do you have a SA or a Taurus Judge? Your preference in brand and load for it?

I've been wanting to get another 45 colt but am having a hard time justifying one. Especially when the 45 acp will do just about everything it will.

2. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I've got a Vaquero and a Smith model 25, 125th Anniversary. I don't reload anymore so I don't have a favorite load. Mostly just shoot cowboy loads, though I want to shoot some hotter stuff in the Vaquero. If I could get back into reloading, it would probably be my favorite round.

Blondie70 and rigrat like this.

3. Chicknman

Chicknman Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I got rid of the 45 colt I had because I don't reload and it costs too much to shoot. If I was buying another lever action or single action it would be 38/357.

Cliff731, para40 and rigrat like this.
  4. osiek

osiek Distinguished Poster

S&W 625 mountain gun 45 Colt. Shoot it every other Sunday. Carried in a shoulder holster while on a tractor

938882A9-F3CB-4724-9018-F4455EEB3CDF.jpeg

5. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Judge,ubertie SA and a big boy Henry in 45colt.
    I enjoy the round.....especially in the rifle. I'm fixin to start playing with a 300gn lead flat nose so stand by.

Oh.....and I have you a full die set,when your ready I'll send them to you with a few pieces of brass and some projectile

jakeg823, BasMstr and rigrat like this.
  6. Ed Hunter

Ed Hunter Distinguished Poster

See these reports I have made. Grabnted, there's a little 45 ACP mixed in but the Ruger is a convertible.

Ed

AN INDEX

RUGER NEW MODEL BLACKHAWK CONVERTIBLE

2/15/17 Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible – 45 ACP

4/1/17 Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible – 45 Long Colt

9/1/17 Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible – +P

11/1/2017 Ruger Blackhawk Convertible and the Underwood 170gr 45 ACP +P

12/19/17 Ruger Blackhawk Convertible and the Liberty Civil Defense, .45 ACP, HP, 78 Grain

180201 Ruger Blackhawk Convertible and Polycase Inceptor .45 ACP 114 gr ARX

180403 Ruger Blackhawk Convertible And The Liberty Civil Defense 45 Long Colt

22lrfan, rigrat and mascott like this.
  7. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have 3 of the Uberti clones and love them. Also have a Taurus Gaucho that is fine but gets bad reviews. I have shot many rounds of "cowboy" type loads out of the Taurus mostly. I wouldn't shoot a hot load out of any of these.

22lrfan, rigrat and Quickeye like this.
  8. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    I have two Ruger Blackhawks, Puma 92 (levergun), Taurus Thunderbolt (pump-action) and a H&R Classic Carbine (single-shot). I like the 45 Colt round mainly with the 250gr lead bullets. It can be loaded from sub-powderpuff loads to almost 44 Mag performance.

My favorite load is...... 250gr lead RNFP with 6.0gr of Win 231. 7.0gr if you want a little more "action". The 6.0gr load is a "Cowboy" load.

22lrfan, Blondie70 and rigrat like this.
  9. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

The S&W 45 colts would be sweet. But unfortunately out of my price.
    I have been thinking about a SA , uberti , Cimmeron or Traditions. And also possibly a Taurus Public Defender. I had a Defender and liked it pretty good.
    I love the round and it’s s shame someone don’t make a 5 shot similar to the Bulldog. Would make just about the perfect carry revolver imo.

10. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    7 5/8" Blackhawk. Love it but not enough miles on it to comment as to load

rigrat and 22lrfan like this.
  11. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Got an old Colt SSA that I load with FFF Goex and 250 gr bullets. Also have three Rugers, a Vaquero, an old model Blackhawk and an Old Army with a cartridge conversion cylinder. Use the same bullets. I'm traveling this weekend so I don't have the load data.

12. patchz

patchz Court Jester

That, without the "6", is almost my grail gun. I've wanted a 4" model 25 for a long time.

Joe S., phillipd and rigrat like this.
  13. Joe S.

Joe S. Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    I have a few. My flattop Blackhawk shoots 7-9 grains of Unique with a 260-ish grain cast bullet well.

My old model Blackhawk (no longer have it) shot a 20 grain of WW296 load with 300 gr bullet well. My R92 rifle and H&R shoot that load well too.

My Uberti shoots 7-8 gr of Unique as well as a light charge of 231 well.

14. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

The last load I tried was a 300 grain SP with a lot of H110! Ruger only load in my Blackhawk, but the poi was too high so I need to try something else. The Ruger only loads get close to 44 magnum and are not safe in most guns.

J.B.

Blondie70 likes this.
  15. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Which Judge you got? If I go that route I was thinking either the 3” barrel or the 2” public defender.

16. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

6 1/2" barrel,stainless.

rigrat likes this.
  17. Shrek

Shrek Distinguished Poster

Ruger Blackhawk convertible 45 Colt/45ACP
    Don't have the load data with me right now but it likes the 250gr lead bullets.

rigrat and BasMstr like this.
  18. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have one of those Smiths, stainless 4 inch barrel and a 1875 Uberti Outlaw. I don,t think that I have shot them yet, but I have been stocking up on ammo here and there. That is a big old bullet.

19. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I would probably settle for stainless, but prefer blued. I've even thought about trading my model 25 for one, but would have to have some boot. Those 125th Anniversary models go for high dollar.

rigrat likes this.
  20. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I try to keep a little Piggy Bank. I just lucked up on those two revolvers. One look and I said I,ll take it. I think I bought them a few years apart. I have two 41s, two 44s, and these two 45s.