Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....I finally got enough parts together,I won't say how much money there is right here.
IMG_4655.JPG

And I just had to assemble something that resembles an upper tonight. Not much fun looking at a pile of parts lol
So I disassembled the new to me 300blkout upper and robbed the reciever.
Dug around my shelves and found a round handguard I'd been saving.....only to find out the dang gas block is too tall to let it thread onto the barrel nut.
Damn!!!
IMG_4661.JPG

So moving on to making sure the gas tube would work out with the bcg and index its gas key properly.
It did....after some massaging lol. It really could use a straight one tho.
IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

The tube doesn't look all that appealing to me but it works
IMG_4658.JPG

For you guys that don't know why you'd want one of these.....look at this monster bullet lol
IMG_4662.JPG

500gn of devastation.

On the hand guard.....I'm thinking of robbing one off one of my other rifles. I may cut this one off short of the gas block....but I really heat to.
Also thought about modifying a plastic standard AR guard.
Gonna sleep on it

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ellis what is the diameter of that handguard? I've got one I can't use and if it is big enough you're welcome to it.
I'll measure it in the morning and pm you. This one has a top rail with it,if you think you'd like it we could swap out. Yankee hill machine brand.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,047 Posts
Your more than welcome to this one if it will work I'll take a pic and send it in the morning.

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your more than welcome to this one if it will work I'll take a pic and send it in the morning.
Inner diameter is 1.743 on this tube. That's pretty big lol.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,047 Posts
Just measured the inner dia of this one is 2.0". the inner dia of the thread nut is 1.38"ish.

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.....since I'm stuck waiting on time to open up my ejection port. Figured I'd post about it,since it's part of the build.....major part,as seen here
IMG_4676.JPG

That just won't work.....looks like milling time.
On the internet you find all kinds of info for doing this. This is one of many for cutting the port. I will not be doing this
IMG_4675.JPG

I will be cutting the bottom and re-contouring the top. By doing that,I am hoping to retain the dust cover as others have. I know it's not a big deal if it's not there,I just prefer to have it.
I've laid it out and scribed a line at .105
IMG_4672.JPG

I reinstalled the door to make sure the door still covers the port......mostly ;)
IMG_4673.JPG

Thru that gap where the covers spring should be,you can just see the line.
So.....here it sits......waiting lol
IMG_4674.JPG

Sad

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got it cut this morning. It went well.....only I could only make a plung cut 90* with the bed. It only means that I have had to do file work and use sand paper lol

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forgot the pictures
IMG_4679.JPG
IMG_4681.JPG
IMG_4682.JPG

Used a little aluminum blackener on the cuts. It did ok
IMG_4683.JPG

Installed the spring and trimmed the leg that goes against the receiver. Have to trim it or it'll get into the brass scratch it.
IMG_4684.JPG

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dang son you always amaze me with your ability. Looks very good. Is it enough for it to eject though? The pic you posted of the others look like they may have a bigger cut out.
They might be a little bigger,probably.005. The overall of the first ports,originally speced port dimensions, are .620.....mine is at .610. I took .105 at the bottom and .005 off the top. Then filed and sanded the edges/surfaces. Overall width of port is .618(2/3) after sanding and blacking surfaces.

As for ability.....thanks,but anyone can do what I have done here with a drimel and a ton of patience/persistence. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
14,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well,I actually made it home at a decent hour today and had this on my mind. While I'm waiting on another handguard I figured "what the hell" and decided to see if I could fit the usual plastic Ar furniture on it. I did and it doesn't look too bad. Still rather a tube on it for a guard.
IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

IMG_4702.JPG

Notice I had to cut the top out of that ring
IMG_4703.JPG

IMG_4704.JPG

Love that muzzle brake!!!!

Slugged the barrel too
IMG_4696.JPG
IMG_4697.JPG
IMG_4698.JPG

Better safe than sorry