Mississippi Gun Owners banner

5/24/2010 fishing

873 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  GunOneDown 
#1 ·
Was at the spot a little later than we wanted but still just past first light a little. Had a few casts in when I hooked and landed one in the 6-7 pound range (my largest trout to date)I don't remember for sure but it might have been the very next cast that I hooked another trout in the same spot that looked to be as big as the one I had just caught. At this time the 5 knot northerly wind that NOAA forecasted was coming out of the NW at probably 15 knots and was blowing our skiff across the water like a piece of styrofoam and this big sow trout had me in trouble immediately with getting the fast drifting boat between me and it. I finally got the trolling motor spun around and on high (trying to do all this with one hand while fighting a very large very angry trout with the other)and was in the process of getting this trout on the same side of the boat as I was when she went around the trolling motor and wrapped the line. I pulled the motor up and unwrapped it but by that time it was gone[crying]. My buddy Willie then caught a trout as big as my big one and we caught a few more really nice trout before the wind forced us to head in just to be on the safe side with our little 16' skiff and it was not a fun ride in as it was. Of course about an hr after we came in it laid down almost completely. Willie needed some fish for a fish fry so he took the fish home with him but I snapped a couple of photos of them in the cooler. Not even sure how many we ended up with but it was way under the limit. I also caught a black drum about 40-45 pounds on a mirrolure and hook a 20 lb gar on it but the gar bit me off and took my mirrolure with him.[cursing] The pictures do not do these trout justice at all for their size. That is a 50qt chest and those biggest trout are true sows. I am not even sure I got the 2 biggest on top. For scale in the last picture the cocahoe with jig head is a little over 4" actually and measures right at 1" in the photo which makes that top fish between 24" & 25". That white trout Willie threw in there (left side of chest) was a 12" white trout so you can see how it is dwarfed by the size of the specks.

See less See more
#2 ·
man - you gotta stop doing this to me!! I have never caught a trout over 22"!! but would love to!!

:youdaman: :youdaman:

#3 ·
while your sitting around not doing anything, u should be trying to get down here anf fish while they biting. We killed them Saturday. Trout are biting now. Ain't seen no oil and we ran out to Martin once. Big trout are biting now......
Nice catch SJ. Those are some SOWS for sure. One of my friends call them BATs (BigAzzTrout) I like to call them Sows myself though.
Thanks for sharing.

#4 ·
OK -- I'm coming!! Probably Thursday and Friday if my boat is out of the shop ... They are suppose to have it to me BY Wednesday .. unless I can use my 17' to get to some of them there trout .... ??

#5 ·
This has been a very good late spring for big trout. The biggest majority of the trout we are hooking ar big trout over 3 lbs. We only hooked 2 trout today under 3 pounds. I have lost count of the 4-5 pounds + trout we have caught this month.

#6 ·
SJ. Can I come fish with you? You seem to have the ticket. I'll even bring my boat. This is killin Capt you know that don't you. I'll hafta agree with the fat trout being out there
now. Keep posting pics. Thanks
I gotta work during the week or I'd be posting pics with ya. Hopefully I can get back in the water this weekend again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.