fan while my dad his younger brother was equally a Ford
man, so he sold the car back to the dealer for peanuts
and it wasn't a year later when his '56 Chevy breathed
its last.....go figure.

Reactions: Southern Reloading

·
Premium Member
12,668 Posts
Whole bunch of room in there for some 21st century power and some overdrive.
Definitely a classic choice for a classic vehicle. Kudos on the build,it is a great looking ride!

My FIL debate about this quite often. He wants a late 40s/early 50s Chevy......originally restored,to use. Not mint and stored away but something to drive around and use. My point to him is......you’re going to get your butt ran over,you’re aging....it won’t be comfortable,parts are nearly impossible to get quickly locally.
Obviously if he’s going to “use” it (relive his youth) collector value is not really a factor so what’s the point in keeping the same power plant that is old ,dated,proven to be reliable but gets zero mileage and power (vrs todays power expectations) is really minimal at best while keeping it with street manners.
I do understand that fixing such a modified vehicle is scary to some of the older generation but honestly with a little knowledge/time spent to learn......all those wires really aren’t that scary.

Something about having a pumped up motor that’s able to get 17/18mpg (if not more) while running the A/C or able to run the A/C while idling in traffic is awfully appealing to me lol

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Whole bunch of room in there for some 21st century power and some overdrive.
Definitely a classic choice for a classic vehicle. Kudos on the build,it is a great looking ride!

My FIL debate about this quite often. He wants a late 40s/early 50s Chevy......originally restored,to use. Not mint and stored away but something to drive around and use. My point to him is......you’re going to get your butt ran over,you’re aging....it won’t be comfortable,parts are nearly impossible to get quickly locally.
Obviously if he’s going to “use” it (relive his youth) collector value is not really a factor so what’s the point in keeping the same power plant that is old ,dated,proven to be reliable but gets zero mileage and power (vrs todays power expectations) is really minimal at best while keeping it with street manners.
I do understand that fixing such a modified vehicle is scary to some of the older generation but honestly with a little knowledge/time spent to learn......all those wires really aren’t that scary.

Something about having a pumped up motor that’s able to get 17/18mpg (if not more) while running the A/C or able to run the A/C while idling in traffic is awfully appealing to me lol
You can LS anything now. I guess it is all about intended use. We put a 700R4 in our C10. Added the Corvette servo and a few other mods. You can do anything these days.

Reactions: Ellis93

·
Premium Member
12,668 Posts
You can LS anything now. I guess it is all about intended use. We put a 700R4 in our C10. Added the Corvette servo and a few other mods. You can do anything these days.
Sure can,that’s also a big turn off to some......but when you want ease of use,gotta go with something like that

The “detent” cable (throttle valve cable) is a major adjustment for that 700r4. Tighten it up enough that it’s uncomfortable when it shifts then back it off 3/4 notches on it adjustment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts