6.5 x 55 Swede MilSurp Target Loads

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Soonered, Mar 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Soonered

Soonered Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Finally after many years of wanting to shoot in a milsurp match I finally did last Saturday. I just pulled a gun out that I had at least 60 rounds loaded. It was a 7x57 Chileno Mauser. Not my preferred rifle to shoot. First its not in the best of condition plus it was not even sighted in so I wasn't even sure if my loads I had were on target at 200 yards.

I plan on shooting my Swedish Mauser so I need to start working up a target load. Anyone have suggestions? The bullet I will be using is 129 grain Hornady SST because I have lots of them. Powders I have are RL 19, RL 22, lots of H4831SC, some IMR 4831, H1000, plus an assortment of others that are slightly faster burning so I didn't list them.

I was considering trying 38.0, 39.0, 40.0, 41.0, and 42.0 of RL19. I'm going to try RL19 first. If I switch to Hornady Match 140 HPBT, I would like to use H4831SC.

Any feedback on these loads or others?

2. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

I like 140 gr Hornady with IMR 4895. Have taken quite a few deer, coyote, crows, and state match trophies with my Swedes. Lately I haven't been able to reload anything and have used Lapua Scenar factory loads. They are not cheap but they are as good as anything I've made and I have good Lapua brass to reload.

stewbaby and Soonered like this.

3. shoeshooter

shoeshooter Distinguished Poster

Florence
    Stewbaby should along shortly with a good recipe.

stewbaby, Soonered and 22lrfan like this.
  4. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Probably can’t help much as I don’t use that bullet.

My go to is IMR4350 at 39.5 gr and 140BTHP match at OAL as long as the magazine allows (3.15”). It does so well, I’ve never branched out too much.

The R22 is the other great powder you hear mentioned on the Swede forums. It is great at 44.5 but again I’ve only used 140BTHP match and I typically stay with 4350 since it’s a lower powder load and good in the 1903A3 also.

Of those listed and a 140gr bullet, R22 starting at 42 and no more that 45ish or 4831 (unsure of gr) would be the ones I’d suggest first

I always pull one

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    22lrfan, Soonered and oldguns like this.
  5. oldguns

oldguns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellisville
    Nosler lists RL-19 as the accuracy powder for 129-130gr bullets. They have a good site for data. I don't shoot 129s either, except that I have shot PPU Match 120gr in my CG-63, a slower twist barrel.
    I mostly shoot mid-range loads of H4831 with 140s.

22lrfan likes this.
  6. Soonered

If I didn't have the 129's I'd be starting out with Hornady 140 match HPBT with RL 22.

7. stewbaby

For info, here is the M41 surplus chrono info

[​IMG]

Soonered and 22lrfan like this.
  8. Soonered

Tried some loads today. Best were 40.0 & 41.0 with RL 22 only .015 off the lands with Hornady 140 HPBT Match. Getting 1.5 - 2.0 MOA witch is about as good as I can shoot.

The 129 H SST with RL 19 were in the 3.0 MOA range. So looks like those bullets will be staying in the bullet bin. Probably use for my Swede in my model 70.

9. stewbaby

... that close to the lands will they fit in your magazine? All the Swedes I’ve measured have too deep a throat to get that close to the lands and still fit the magazine.

Just curious if you tried up to 44.5gr or stopped lower?

10. Soonered

They all fit and feed. Loaded all from full magazine without issue.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  11. stewbaby

What OAL? Also is this an M96 or a Husqvarna M38?

I’ve never seen a M96 that you could get that close to the lands and still fit the magazine. Actually, I’ve never seen bullet that would reach out that far

12. Soonered

I'm going to remeasure as now I'm thinking I screwed up my measurement. OAL is 2.940. On posts I've read, people are seating them to 3.050. Maybe I have more room to seat. Don't usually mess up this but when I have its been with long, skinny pointed bullets that look similar to a VLD profile.

13. stewbaby

Probably the same Hornady #26335 that I use. Pic below of the 3.170 I use...max for the magazine but short of lands (typically 3.2+). Also at minimum for what we would practically want in the case neck.

Yea, your OAL would be fine just not as close to lands as probably possible (but the -0.01 to -0.02 we typically try for isn’t usually practical in these guns...I do have one Oberdorf that is 3.178 with that bullet).

[​IMG]

Soonered likes this.
  14. Soonered

Thanks

I'll try to remeasure tomorrow night

15. Soonered

Glad you said something. I rechecked and it was 3.185 approximately. The case i was using on my stoney point comparator is custom made to fit my gun. The neck had a tight spot that was consistently stopping the case at the same spot. So looks like I have some more load development. But that's good news as the loads i have are already at 2 MOA or less. Can only get better. I'll make some dummy rounds at the max you have above and make sure the fit the magazine and feed ok.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  16. stewbaby

Good deal. Besides my Oberndorf, that 3.185 is about as short as I’ve heard of. One of mine is 3.23ish best I recall. Some of them would make Marilyn Chambers blush

22lrfan likes this.
  17. Soonered

The reason I bought this gun was that it looked close to unfired after it was rebarreled.

18. stewbaby

Oh, here is Mr Doug’s book info on his Swede loads

Note on page 130 were he talks about the <140 stabilization issues. I’ve tried 3031, 4895, and 4064 but none of them did as well as 4350 or R22.

[​IMG]

oldguns, Soonered and 22lrfan like this.
  19. Soonered

I've got that book somewhere...had forgotten about it. Guess I'll have to hunt it down now.

20. fatgnome

fatgnome Distinguished Poster

Now there is a name I haven't heard in quite a long time.