Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
76 years ago today, the 18-year old young man in the top row, 6th from left, graduated basic training at Fort Sill, OK. Soon to head via troop ship to Le Havre(he turned 19 underway) then walk all the way to Berchtesgaden, chip away at the fireplace in Hitler's Eagles' Nest. Along the way was that little kerfluffle now referred to as the Battle of the Bulge., and passed through more than a few fights in various villages along the way south. Being a first-generation German American, he interpreted and helped interrogate more than a few German and Polish POWs. Was re-assigned to Eisenhower's staff after the war in Frankfurt am Main, in the old pink I.G. Farben headquarters, as an interpreter and liason with the German officials. Had to relay requests for water pipes, electrical wire, all kinds of stuff as we rebuilt Germany - we saw a documentary once back in the 1970s on TV and he sat up and said "there's that stupid pink building I was working in!" Ha ha

Himmlische Ruhe, Dad. Ich vermisse dich sehr.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Wikipedia about the IG Farben building:
"The building was the headquarters for production administration of dyes, pharmaceutical drugs, magnesium, lubricating oil, explosives, and methanol, and for research projects relating to the development of synthetic oil and rubber during World War II. Notably IG Farben scientists discovered the first antibiotic, fundamentally reformed medical research and "opened a new era in medicine."[4] After World War II, the IG Farben Building served as the headquarters for the Supreme Allied Command and from 1949 to 1952 the High Commissioner for Germany (HICOG). Notably Dwight D. Eisenhower had his office in the building. It became the principal location for implementing the Marshall Plan, which supported the post-war reconstruction of Europe. The 1948 Frankfurt Documents, which led to the creation of a West German state allied with the western powers, were signed in the building.[5] The IG Farben Building served as the headquarters for the US Army's V Corps and the Northern Area Command (NACOM) until 1995. It was also the headquarters of the CIA in Germany. During the early Cold War, it was referred to by US authorities as the Headquarters Building, United States Army Europe (USAREUR); the US Army renamed the building the General Creighton W. Abrams Building in 1975.[1] It was informally referred to as "The Pentagon of Europe."[6]"
IG Farben.jpg

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
1,720 Posts
Wish we still had these guys around, we are going to need some men who have spit in face of death and lived to tell about it. Most of us haven’t seen the SHTF like they did.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah and it changed my Dad for life. He worked for Ingalls and then for MS Emp Sec Commission starting with Veterans' Affairs, won quite a few awards helping WW2, Korea, then Vietnam Vets re-enter the work force. I've posted elsewhere though about what he went through, I was too young and unaware to realize his trauma.

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
1,720 Posts
Wish I could have met your Dad, some of those men would share little pieces of “those days “ , some would not. Grew up knowing one of these men who I didn’t really know his full name we just called him uncle Joe
He would kneel and pray every time he got out of his truck, talk about God to anyone that would listen. He went through the war, don’t know any more than that but was told that he promised the Lord he would not miss a chance to praise him and witness if he brought him home and he kept his promise to my knowledge to the day he passed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts