Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Looks great. I have an old wingmaster receiver that I assembled into a home defense shotgun.

I'm thinking about painting it, the finish doesn't seem to hold up well. It's rusting on me in a climate controlled room inside of a safe that has a dehumidifier. It's the only gun that rusts on me. I have to keep it oiled regularly.

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking about painting it, the finish doesn't seem to hold up well. It's rusting on me in a climate controlled room inside of a safe that has a dehumidifie

Calling Dr @rigrat , calling Dr Rigrat. You are requested in Hattiesburg and Stone County for paint instruction / assistance.
not sure that I’m to that point yet

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I have a Wingmaster made in 1967 that I inherited from my grandfather. The action is slick as glass. It has some rough spots in the finish, but it's staying exactly as it is. I love that thing.

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man, the trigger housing on this is FILTHY. I was in a hurry today when I cleaned the outside, and when I got to the inside it looked too complicated for the time I had to work with. I’ll get to it later. Pleased with the Gun though.

·
Premium Member
13,504 Posts
I have one in pieces right now......planning on cutting it down and making a HD gun out of it. The receiver looks to have been used as a hammer at one time so it’s a good candidate for modifying.
Going to put a heavy park on it and let it eat.

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one in pieces right now......planning on cutting it down and making a HD gun out of it. The receiver looks to have been used as a hammer at one time so it’s a good candidate for modifying.
Going to put a heavy park on it and let it eat.
You’ve put that on a lot of guns before?

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
This one will have the barrel shortened to 18-20”, get a good cleaning and some oil and that’s about it. It is intended to be a home defense gun.
18.5" is nice...shorter is better if its for use in the house. And mount a really large aluminum bead on the front end...easier to see in poor light.

·
Premium Member
13,504 Posts
You’ve put that on a lot of guns before?
Only one but it turned out ok. I tinkered with it again yesterday and have the process figured out now with a few extra 1911 pieces I had On hand.
I’m in the process of building a tank now for the extra long stuff now.

Reactions: rigrat

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
I have several of them/ Wingmasters. I have painted a few shotguns. Success is in the prep work. I usually take some 400 black paper you can get at auto stores. Then follow up with Bronze wool or steel wool fine. Take off anything you don,t want sprayed. Take some newspaper and stuff on the inside. And before spraying I used 91 proof rubbing alcohol to remove any grease smudges you cant see with clean paper towels. Have a hanger for it to dry or I have some different size bolts going through a piece of 1x4 wood and have the board in my vise. After I spray I slide stocks onto the bolts to dry. I like Brownells alumahyde epoxy in flat, semi- gloss, satin.

Reactions: SMissCCJ

·
Glad to be here
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The trigger assembly is the first order of business. Whoever had this before let A LOT of dust/grime get in. I didn’t realize it when I gave it a shot of CLP, and I think I gunked it up more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts