Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'll Play Dixie If I Want To
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daddy bought me an 870, in about 1968 or 69. There is no telling how times it has been shot, I have hunted everything there is to hunt with it. Several years ago it got to where it sometimes didn't want to shoot, and when it did sometimes it wouldn't eject the hull. It has been in my safe for 10 or 15 years. I ordered a new firing pin and spring and a new extractor and spring and installed them and gave it a good cleaning, it shoots like it was new. So far this year, I watched youtube videos and built a AR15, fixed my central A/C, fixed my shotgun, changed the washers in my new fangled kitchen faucet, tore down an old Marlin .22 and gave it a good cleaning and stumbled up on a chick named Darcizzle who fishes in the tiniest bikini's I have ever seen, it's been a pretty productive year.

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
The last thing you did to your 870 may have been the thing that really fixed it. Almost every (one or two exceptions) 870 or 1100 that came into my shop with feeding or ejection problems just needed a really good cleaning; I never ordered any parts until I had cleaned it well and tried it out unless I found an obviously broken part when stripping it down. Of course, a new firing pin and extractor never hurt anything and after years of use might prevent problems later. those guns just keep on shooting.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I have an 870 Wingmaster I inherited from my grandfather. It's locked up tight. I can't even engage the slide release. I cleaned it off, and hosed it with CLP Break Free, but I still can't get it to move.

Reactions: Vick

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
I have an 870 Wingmaster I inherited from my grandfather. It's locked up tight. I can't even engage the slide release. I cleaned it off, and hosed it with CLP Break Free, but I still can't get it to move.
As a starting point, push the two pins that hold the trigger group in place out to the right and remove the trigger group; from that point you should be able to get everything else loose and/or see if some out of place or broken part is jamming everything up...I'm assuming its not rusted shut. Go online and print out a schematic before you start.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
As a starting point, push the two pins that hold the trigger group in place out to the right and remove the trigger group; from that point you should be able to get everything else loose and/or see if some out of place or broken part is jamming everything up...I'm assuming its not rusted shut. Go online and print out a schematic before you start.
I don't think it's rusted up. There's little rust on the outside, and I sprayed it pretty good with Break Free. I think I might do just what you suggested.

·
MSGO Court Jester
36,869 Posts
I've owned three in my lifetime and had another issued to me. I wish I still had the best of the three, I had a 20" cylinder bore and a 28" modified for it. The one I have now is a frankengun, 3" magnum but it does have rifle sights

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,255 Posts
:lol6: Same thing I was thinking.

Reactions: mascott

·
Registered
540 Posts
I inherited an 870 wingmaster from a great uncle who passed away along with a high standard sentinel revolver that he purchased in 1956 from a Sears and Roebuck in Idaho and a 1903a4 that he brought home from WW2. We never knew when he purchased the wingmaster but we knew he bought it sometime in the 50s not too long after he left the service. I looked up the serial number via Remington's database and found that my particular wingmaster was made in 1953 so it's an oldie of a wingmaster. However it hasn't been shot since maybe the early 80s since both my dad and I have somewhat messed up shoulders and we can't take much abuse on the higher recoil stuff. Even though we've never shot it I could never think of parting with it as it's one of the few things this particular great uncle left behind that I cherish.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
My grandfather's Wingmaster dates to 1967. I know he didn't shoot it after the early 80s, due to declining health. I don't know that I will shoot it after I get it working, but I'm not getting rid of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts