close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

9mm AR?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by LeansVeryRight2016, May 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. LeansVeryRight2016

LeansVeryRight2016 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Looking for sage advice/personal experience with/comments about an AR chambered in 9mm, such as (but not only, see link below):

Olympic Arms 9mm 32+1 Rifle - K9 | CenterfireGuns

I know, I know: I have other AR's chambered in other calibers (.223/5.56), but I also have a bunch of 9mm ammo (in various weights & configurations) for my handguns ...

Thoughts? Comments? Help?

2. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I don't have one but if I was to get one I'd be leaning towards a PSA, buying a lower and then a upper. You also have your choice of using a mag block or buying a lower that uses only Glock magazines.

3. LeansVeryRight2016

Thanks. I'm on their e-mailing list. I will check it out, although I'm not too handy in that regard.

4. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

I own two; one in Colt magazine configuration and one in Glock magazine configuration. They are both very handy, fun, fine shooting guns. I highly recommend owning at least one. Both uppers are PSA and shoot well. I'm not a big fan of Olympic. They seem to be a luck of the draw kind of company. If you get a good one you're set but its a coin toss as to whether or not you get a good one. PSA seems to be more consistent. My Colt mag lower is also PSA and was reasonably priced and they have the Metal Form mags for $25 which is also a pretty good price. I picked up my Glock mag lower from Joe Bob Outfitters for a pretty good price too. It is a really well made lower and I'm very happy with it. Glock mags are a bit more pricey though.

You might also contact iShoot here on this forum. He has some VERY competitive pricing and is a great guy to deal with. Big advantage is he can custom build you the configuration that you want (or sell you the parts for you to build yourself) and is local (Clinton).

5. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

iShoot, all the way. He will get my business when I can.

Blondie70, rigrat and para40 like this.
  6. LeansVeryRight2016

Thanks, and thanks especially for not talking down to me about it, as I am somewhat as a newbie to all of this.

Anything in your experience about Wilson's, besides their price?

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    CajunBP likes this.
  7. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

Not much of a Wilson fan myself but that has more to do with the 1911 shop. All said and done they are a production shop more than a custom shop. Just don't feel like the juice is worth the squeeze. Especially not if you are just getting into ARs. You can spend less than a third of Wilson money locally and get your feet wet; decide if you like it then start thinking about upgrading. By then my guess is you will be looking at options other than Wilson. I think by then you'll be attached to your local build and will be adding rather than replacing. :)

rigrat likes this.
  8. LeansVeryRight2016

Thanks, once again.

9. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

I have a Rock River 9mm AR and like it a lot, especially with my Osprey 45 on it! With +p loads you get near .357 magnum velocities from a 16" barrel. I guess it depends what you will use it for. It'd be a great plinker, house gun, truck gun or range gun.

J.B.

10. HotRod31

HotRod31 Distinguished Poster

I agree with Rouge I would stay away from Olympic, PSA came out with a low price Glock lower. I too have a Joe Bob Glock lower, It is a fun shooter & can serve as a good ammo ,magazine compatible defense weapon. here is some inspiration IMG_1216.JPG

11. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

+1 on the PSA. I've got the PSA upper with their hybrid BCG. I went with the mag block version since I had an extra complete lower.

12. fastarrow

fastarrow Distinguished Poster

Quarter circle 10 makes 9mm lowers that use GLOCK or Colt mags. They make other calipers also. They look quality. But I don't have any experience with them.

13. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

This isn't the place where you will be ridiculed for trying to learn. Oh, they may beat you up a little on the off the beaten path like politics and law questions, but when it comes to the gun stuff, these guys will hook you up.

14. gutdoc

gutdoc Distinguished Poster

15. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    800 for a Stag would be a great way to get into a 9mm AR if you wanted a colt mag platform.

I have a double diamond glock lower, and had a Rock River colt mag lower (colt mags so I got rid of it).
    PSA would be good, Lone Wolf, CMMG, many others would all be good.

The only thing I would recommend is that you do go with a glock lower so you can share mags with glock pistols.

The June 3Gun match at Magnolia will have divisions for 1Gun Pistol Caliber Carbine and 2Gun (PCC and Shotgun), so you need to order it quickly so you can test your build in a practical setting.

16. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

I want to SBR mine!

J.B.
    [​IMG]

17. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

LOL , I just want one.