Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the 3 aforementioned platforms for a 9mm carbine. Considering the following factors, but feel free to list other factors that would cause you to choose or not to choose one or another of the 3:
Price
Size
Reliability /availability of parts other than magazines
Magazine capacity and availability
Suppressor compatability
General ergonomics
Personal experience

Looking at the Ruger PC Carbine, Beretta CX 4 w/ Beretta 92 magazine, and PCC AR platform with Glock magazine
Ruger seems to be ~ $600 when you run across one; Beretta is ~$ 800, and the AR platforms I've seen can be found or assembled for little > $500 and up.
The Beretta is clearly based on the MX 4 SMG in use by some military & law enforcement, and it's clear to see the resemblance to other telescoping bolt smgs in the semi-auto PX 4. This is the only one I have personally used. Magazine advantage is the ready availability of different 92 series magazines.
Ruger's advantages to me seem to be lower price, ability to use Glock magazines, and take down feature. I have yet to see one in person.
I've seen both lowers and uppers for various AR-based 9mm carbines, and choose to consider one which would take Glock magazines purely for the availability and price of said magazines.
TIA!

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,435 Posts
I've got a AR9, but would love to try the Ruger.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Ruger
Never have even sold one of the beretta
And I have owned a couple ar9 and didn’t really care for either one. If mosins and sigs would stop popping up that I want I’d have had a Ruger over a year ago

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I prefer the pc carbine between it and an AR9.

The quick takedown being predominantly the deciding factor.

There is a rail available that replaces the rear sight. I went with the rail in that location and a red dot.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
From the options you give, I only have personal experience with the Beretta CX4. I liked the one I had . . . it was accurate and reliable.
The main drawback, IMHO is that it's waaaaaaayyyyy over priced.

I acquired a KelTec Sub-2000 in a trade. The Glock-mag version. I absolutely LOVE that carbine. I kid you not, I have NEVER missed with it. It has never jammed. You mentioned size in your OP. Heck, this Keltec FOLDS IN HALF, and can fit in a backpack or briefcase.

It was probably 1/3 the price of the Beretta (or less), but I MUCH prefer it.

I have no experience with the AR9, or the Ruger, though on brand reputation alone, I would not be scared to buy one, if I were in the market.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
From the options you give, I only have personal experience with the Beretta CX4. I liked the one I had . . . it was accurate and reliable.
The main drawback, IMHO is that it's waaaaaaayyyyy over priced.

I acquired a KelTec Sub-2000 in a trade. The Glock-mag version. I absolutely LOVE that carbine. I kid you not, I have NEVER missed with it. It has never jammed. You mentioned size in your OP. Heck, this Keltec FOLDS IN HALF, and can fit in a backpack or briefcase.

It was probably 1/3 the price of the Beretta (or less), but I MUCH prefer it.

I have no experience with the AR9, or the Ruger, though on brand reputation alone, I would not be scared to buy one, if I were in the market.
I wasn't going to bring the s2k up since it wasn't mentioned in the original post.
I also own the glock mag version and I absolutely love it. Very accurate and works great suppressed.
The kel-tec sub 2000 gets a bad rap probably because of the price (although they're priced around 450-500 now IF you can find one) and the fact that the receiver is plastic. I've never had a single problem with mine.
I don't have any experience with the others listed here.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Beretta CX-4.Got my second for around $750.I find it easy to break down for cleaning it's also chambered in .45.Took me 2 years to find one to replace the one stolen.Theft was pissed,was no slide in that one.Now I have a extra slide:ROFLMAO:

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
22,743 Posts
Don't have any experience with any of them, but I have thought about a S2k since you can get one that uses M&P magazines.

Reactions: scott511

·
Infidel
4,356 Posts
The CX4 9mm that accepts 92 FS mags is a sweet little weapon that can put rounds range quickly and accurately. I mean follow ups are nothing since it’s almost zero recoil. I put a sig romeo 5 on mine. I got mine for steel challenge.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I’ve got friend with a pc9, I have a 10/22 setup identical. In my opinion the 10/22 can do anything the pc9 can with half the weight.

·
Infidel
4,356 Posts
I also have a kel-tec sub 2000 gen 2. That takes glock mags, it’s like a log wagon when you been riding a Cadillac, I’m also a south paw and it’ll feed you powder in the face. This is Winchester military 9mm that I used .

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Don't have any experience with any of them, but I have thought about a S2k since you can get one that uses M&P magazines.
I waited around for the M&P mag version so I could use my pistol mags and put off getting the glock mag version when they were $250.
Then I wised up and just bought glock mags and got that one. The price was up to 425 by then though.
I found out that's its easier to find mags to fit the gun vs the other way around. Plus the s2k is much more fun with stick mags which are plentiful and cheap in the glock flavor.
Magpul makes very good glock mags.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts