Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help with this. I first started with a magazine full of reloads just to see if I could manually rack them all till empty. That lasted to the second round. They all hang at about .187 on LRN and .118 on factory JHP. The chamber measures about .375 and then there's another step down to around .285.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Finger Material property

Wood Bicycle part Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory Gas

Hand Camera lens Fluid Finger Lens

Finger Cylinder Gas Nickel Auto part

Wood Gauge Measuring instrument Font Clock

Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Wood Office equipment Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind. Figured it out. Apparently, this gun was disabled by LE as evidence, or it was modified to shoot a weird ass necked case. I'm gonna go with disabled by LE. I decided it was worthless anyway, so I grabbed my easy out and hit it with about 1/8 turn and it came out. CRAZY! I should have let the damn pawn shop keep it for another month and let someone return it. Then I would have gotten an even better deal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,538 Posts
I was going to say take the barrel off and with a good Light examine the chamber area very carefully.

Reactions: maxhush

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Some pawn shops will treat you right. Depends on the owners and people that work there. There are several within 30 miles from me but I only do business with one.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
If you do wish to keep it there are plenty of barrels on the market, even from Beretta.
A lot of pawn shops, I have noticed, have many Beretta parts and magazines that uh, came home from Camp Shelby, Keesler, etc. ;) I picked up a good number of magazines cheap in McComb last year, less than 1/3 of what Beretta wants online for their own "factory" (=MecGar) magazines. They all were made under government contract, have the NSN and mfg. name on them and are well-used but they all function 100%, which is all that matters to me.

·
Premium Member
14,194 Posts
@DEADEYE 1 thanks man. I never bought from a pawn shop before. Today was almost my first and last time.
Don’t let that one ruin you on pawn shops. I’ve bought a couple hundred from pawn shops and have never had one with a serious issue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do wish to keep it there are plenty of barrels on the market, even from Beretta.
A lot of pawn shops, I have noticed, have many Beretta parts and magazines that uh, came home from Camp Shelby, Keesler, etc. ;) I picked up a good number of magazines cheap in McComb last year, less than 1/3 of what Beretta wants online for their own "factory" (=MecGar) magazines. They all were made under government contract, have the NSN and mfg. name on them and are well-used but they all function 100%, which is all that matters to me.
I think the barrel is fine. The chamber didn't get marred by me getting the insert out. The rifling could probably be in better shape (a little rust in grooves even after aggressive cleaning), but the rest of the pistol appears barely used. I've never owned or fired a Beretta, so I didn't know that what I was looking at in the barrel didn't belong there.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
I think the barrel is fine. The chamber didn't get marred by me getting the insert out. The rifling could probably be in better shape (a little rust in grooves even after aggressive cleaning), but the rest of the pistol appears barely used. I've never owned or fired a Beretta, so I didn't know that what I was looking at in the barrel didn't belong there.
Well if it shoots ok - that is, if the accuracy and functioning are both acceptable, I guess there's no need to replace the barrel, but with the Beretta 92 series it is about as easy as it could possibly get. Very simple drop in. Best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
I wonder if it was chambered in 9x21 instead of 9x19. Some imported Italian 92's that were police trade ins and etc were chambered in 9x21 at one point.
Actually the 9x21 was introduced, at least in part, because civilians in some countries are prohibited from owning firearms in military or police calibers. So it might very well be in 9 x 21 but if it is it is not a police surplus pistol. To the best of my knowledge Italy is one such country. Since la polizia use 9mm NATO, civilians were / are prohibited from owning weapons in such calibers. So if it came from Italy in that caliber it was probably not a police surplus. Now of course it might have been modified.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
HerZnk, you know a lot about the Beretta 92 and variants. How many rounds approximately does it usually take for the break-in period for the Beretta 92 FS ? I bought one new and after about 250 rounds it stovepiped a couple times and I cleaned it good. I have not gotten back to target shooting in a while but intend to.

·
Registered
9,389 Posts
HerZnk, you know a lot about the Beretta 92 and variants. How many rounds approximately does it usually take for the break-in period for the Beretta 92 FS ? I bought one new and after about 250 rounds it stovepiped a couple times and I cleaned it good. I have not gotten back to target shooting in a while but intend to.
I have never had a "break-in" issue, and I have owned 4 in the 92 series. My first handgun purchase was a 92S, which has the magazine release at the heel. Based on the popular theory at the time that "hand finds hand". This 'theory' is also why the Uzi SMG has the magazine release at the base of the magazine well. But I digress.
I have never had an issue with breaking in the 92 pistol. Now I will say they are NOT the most accurate pistol I have owned, but due to the open slide, relatively loose tolerances they are very reliable, which is what the military wants - they don't care about match-grade accuracy in ANY service rifle, pistol, etc. This is one reason those who shoot the M9 in competition must "tune" them, for example, to compete in CMP matches. They are loose to begin with and get looser with use. Like a lot of things... ;)
I would say clean it good, be sure you're not doing the "limp wrist" thing - ie you have to hold it solid so it will recoil & reload reliably - and perhaps use hotter ammunition. I recently replaced my M9 / 92FS recoil spring and guide with a steel rod assembly from factory Beretta, which also comes with a new recoil spring. I don't trust plastic with heavy wear parts. It also adds a few ounces to the weight of the pistol which has made a slight difference in my accuracy. In other words the extra weight allows me to hold the pistol in a more stable manner. My fellow member of Rifle Team Hello Kitty, USMC and LA NG vet Kelly B., likes to show off shooting his 92FS at 100 yds when he drives up from that foreign country (Louisianne) south of us. We spend a day at the SW Gun Club every few months. He and the Lt. Col. USAF (Vietnam vet, F100 pilot) and our own son USN Lt. 03 like to b&tch about their military experiences in between magazine dumps. Good days on the range.
But again just clean it well, perhaps use 124 grain instead of 115gr, make sure the mags are quality, that should cure any problems. The 92 / M9 is pretty hard to screw up and if something breaks it's easy to fix.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts