Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just giving some thought to maybe obtaining a 9mm revolver just for the heck of it and to have common ammo to my pistols and rifle. Does anyone have any experience with any in the different brands such as Taurus 905, Charter Pitbull, Ruger, RIA? Any info, advice, pros and cons would be appreciated!

· Registered
12,390 Posts
I have owned a Ruger SP101 in 9mm, and, much earlier, a S&W Model 547. The 547 was probably the best 9mm revolver made to date of which I am aware, but they are scarce, long out of production, and doubtless very collectible and expensive. There were also some Ruger Security Sixes made in 9mm back during that time period as well (long out of production now). The recoil on the SP101 in 9mm is more stout than one might expect. And yes, IMO moon clips suck, and S&W neatly got around that issue with the cupro-beryllium extractor ears, but apparently the expense of producing the Model 547 was one of the main reasons for discontinuing it. As I recall the 547 came in a 3" round butt and a 4" square butt model. I wish I had hung onto mine.

· Registered
1,427 Posts
While I've never owned a 9mm revolver I've shot a few. The Ruger SP101, the Charter Arms Pitbull, the Ruger LCR, and a Taurus 692. Felt recoil on the SP101 and 692 were the lowest, likely due to weight but the SP101 was a smaller frame size so had a little bit more recoil. The LCR was the stoutest without question and the Charter was in the middle somewhere.

All of the guns needed moon clips except for the Charter, it's on their system where moon clips are not needed for extraction. Now, moon clips of course have their own issues and if you get really cheap ones they bend rather easy and can cause loading issue when out of alignment. I personally don't thin they are the end of the world but everyone's got their own opinion.

Main cons to the smaller framed 9mm's is felt recoil. It's stouter than +P .38 Special ammo in similar frame sizes and weights on revolvers and the use of moon clips(if you hate them). The pros are fairly obvious though, easy to find and afford ammo, plenty of good proven loads that do well in short barrels, and plenty of projectile weights to choose from.

I'd say depending use you may have in mind should determine the size. If going more for a carry gun, the Charter Arms and Ruger SP101 would be top of the list based on experience. But if more of a range use gun or something there's some S&W options as well as Taurus options like the 692 that would be more than suitable for the task.

· Registered
8,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No thanks, not wanting to spend that much. Besides I have re-thought the idea and not really interested in going the 9mm revolver route any longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts