Mississippi Gun Owners banner

A look at less lethal alternatives for concealed carry - Pepper spray

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ol bumpy 
#1 ·
CCW holders are quick to show off their latest edged weapon or high cap heater, but rare is the shooter who carries a less lethal alternative.

Pistols are great, but sometimes deadly force isn’t justified.

Pepper spray is the most popular alternative, but its effectiveness varies greatly.

For years the strength and quality of OC sprays were seriously lacking. Kimber has a few non-lethal alternatives, the Guardian Angel and the JPX that are worth a look at.

There’s nothing fancy about the Guardian Angel….its a plastic device a little bit bigger than a pack of cigs. It’s simplicity is part of its beauty. If deployed it will reach out to 13 feet and wrap around glasses…and if one shot doesn’t work, you can hit him with the second barrel. The near pharma grade OC leaves the pipe at near 90 mph.

Kimber’s JPX looks like a toy gun modeled after a baby Glock…It has twin payloads contained in the units removable mags. The spray is propelled by charges that push their peppery payload to 270 mph and reach out to 21 feet with great force. It is as gun-like as any less lethal device I have ever seen, which means using it is downright easy for us gun folks.

http://www.pepperblaster.com/

Another selection I like is Fox labs Pepper spray.

http://www.defensedevices.com/worhotpepspr.html

This stuff was recommended by Tom Givens and they sell it at Rangemaster in Memphis....order order from defensedevices.com.

My wife and daughter both carry one in their purse. There is one in each auto I own.

I’d also like to recommend you consider taking a short training class on the use of such devices. Rangemaster teaches one each month.

Less lethal devices are a great way to deal with everyday hassles such as aggressive dogs and bad guys who don’t quite warrant higher levels of force. With one of these powerful OC delivery vehicles to supplement the bigger hammer on your belt, your liability exposure goes way down.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pepper spray is nice for people that are trained in its use, and also training in H2H. Its not an only line of defense. I do agree with having it for aggressive dogs though. It is just a good idea to have other defensive skill incase its not effective on someone. I have seen many strong mean take it and drop to their knees or run away, but then again I have seen people take it like it was just aftershave and they were about to go to work on someone.

#5 ·
Ironworker...I'll have to go read section 97 again...don't think so...really doesn't matter to me since it usually is concealed and I have a permit.

Lots of times mine is in a little black holder...looks like a leatherman to the unintiated...but that wasn't the question was it?

Think I'll let someone else answer and come back later.

#6 ·
I don't see pepper spray listed...not considered deadly....:

MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972
As Amended

SEC. 97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in Section 45-9-101, any person who carries, concealed in whole or in part, any bowie knife, dirk knife, butcher knife, switchblade knife, metallic knuckles, blackjack, slingshot, pistol, revolver, or any rifle with a barrel of less than sixteen (16) inches in length, or any shotgun with a barrel of less than eighteen (18) inches in length, machine gun or any fully automatic firearm or deadly weapon, or any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not it is accompanied by a firearm, or uses or attempts to use against another person any imitation firearm, shall upon conviction be punished as follows:

(a) By a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months, or both, in the discretion of the court, for the first conviction under this section.

(b) By a fine of not less than One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) nor more than Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), and imprisonment in the county jail for not less than thirty (30) days nor more than six (6) months, for the second conviction under this section.

(c) By imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for not less than one (1) year nor more than five (5) years, for the third or more convictions under this section.

(d) By imprisonment in the State Penitentiary for not less than one (1) year nor more than five (5) years for any person previously convicted of any felony who is convicted under this section.

(2) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) years to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle.

(3) It shall not be a violation of this section for any person to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part if the possessor of the weapon is then engaged in a legitimate weapon-related sports activity or is going to or returning from such activity. For purposes of this subsection, "legitimate weapon-related sports activity" means hunting, fishing, target shooting or any other legal sports activity which normally involves the use of a firearm or other weapon.

SOURCES: Codes, 1880, Sec. 2985; 1892, Sec. 1026; 1906, Sec. 1103; Hemingway's 1917, Sec. 829; 1930, Sec. 853; 1942, Sec. 2079; Laws, 1898, p. 86; 1960, ch. 242, Sec. 1; 1962, ch. 310, Sec. 1; 1991, ch. 609, Sec. 4, eff from and after July 1, 1991.

Chapter Index | Table of Contents

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.