Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a good example of 'overkilling' a rig for a customer which happens to be the largest project I've taken on and completed. This project started design in March and was finally finished over this passed weekend after a lot of playing with regards to concepts and designs for different elements. It has pretty much consumed my free time over the last 4+ weeks trying to finish and get it shipped.

The rig consists of 5 Ruger SBH holsters, with the intention by the customer of being used with various other single actions as well which is why he requested a retention strap. Four of the five are southpaw & two are cross draw rigs as well.

It also has a 2.25” wide Scout style belt along with 19 caliber slides in 9 different calibers. On pistol calibers I aimed for a minimum of 6 rounds and if I could fit more in the pattern I sewed them in. The markings aren’t all attractive but each caliber is marked to help prevent confusion and stretching of loops. The exterior leather is W&C Drum Dyed Russett with natural liners. I used a light brown antique on the entire rig inside & out followed by buffing the heck out of it, letting it rest, oiling it and buffing the heck out of it again. Final finish was two coats of Feibings Leather Balm with Atom Wax and I’m VERY pleased with the finish which looks / feels awesome and took almost 7 hours to apply.

All in all I know my customer will be tickled when this rig gets to Texas. Apologies for the photos as the ice didn’t want to cooperate with my normal backdrop this weekend!

Some 45 Colts:

A big 45 & it's brother:

A good hunting pair:

Just some 3-5-7's :)

While not really relevant to leather this ol' Iver Johnson marked Uberti is the revolver I learned to handgun shoot with. It's on 'loan' from my grandfather and I sure love this gun.

And I couldn't tell you why but this is my favorite combination of the group.

SO while I didn't have enough guns to cover everything offered I sure do like the way this rig turned out :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
miker84 said:
I don't know how you'll ever top that. Nice.
That's simple...this was just a test bed for my next personal rig. It might hit 'epic' on the scale of 1-10.  :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
14,117 Posts
That was one LARGE order in which you delivered BEAUTIFUL leather. I sure hope your pockets are full of profit now........ :)

Your work appears to be TOP NOTCH. Being a 45-70 fan, I really like the "45 GOV" on the ammo carrier.

Your collection of guns ain't too shabby either. You have good taste ! ! !

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SubGunFan said:
That was one LARGE order in which you delivered BEAUTIFUL leather.  I sure hope your pockets are full of profit now........ :)

Your work appears to be TOP NOTCH.  Being a 45-70 fan, I really like the "45 GOV" on the ammo carrier.  

Your collection of guns ain't too shabby either.  You have good taste ! ! !  

While you might think it would be profitable, just the hand rubbed finish took around 8 hours. He got a good deal from older pricing and patience, and I got to try something different. I've been getting photos since Saturday from him so I'd say he's happy.

Thanks for the kind words though :)

The biggest compliment is he asked me to put his name in the stack for a half dozen more pieces when I do start taking orders again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts