A Practical Shotgun Only Match At Magnolia?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting/Area Shoots' started by 9d up, Jul 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    The idea has been thrown around, and my good friend and fellow competitor Kevin posed the question on the open forum. So I decided to address for the record:

IF we did a shotgun match, it would be February, March, or April. These are the flooding months. I figured if a match had to get cancelled, it would be nice if it was one that likely wouldn't have had such a big planned attendance.

I think most people think their shotgun wouldn't work in 3Gun, but that's simply not the case. Any will do. I know a lot of us will be shooting pumps in November...I hope that our carbine matches show people how much fun rifles are in a practical setting, and it will hopefully attract people to our 3Gun matches in the future. We just need to get them shooting shotguns, and everybody needs to realize that you don't have to have a gamer gun to have fun with us.

But in all likelihood, we won't have an ALL shotgun match. We are required to have all rounds impact the rear berm, and we can only have aerial targets in one small area. We just don't have the flexibility to have the options to get overly creative in our stage design.

We will more likely have a big shotgun-heavy stage. I thinking around 50 rounds. We would place tables along the way for people to load shells from in case they didn't have the required equipment to carry that many shells. I think this way we could do a lot of fun stuff that people have never seen before and much less had the opportunity to shoot.

amiles87 and SubGunFan like this.
  2. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison

3. Keenan

Keenan Hiding in plain sight.

I'm game.

9d up likes this.
  4. Keenan

Also, anyone is welcome to use my Comp shotgun or my 8shot pump shotgun for this when the details get hashed out. If you don't have a shotgun, don't let it deter you.

All you gotta do is bring the right ammo and be in my squad.

BasMstr and 9d up like this.
  5. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    The next 3Gun match in November is going to have the option to use a shotgun on 3 of the 4 stages.

Those 3 stages will have "range guns" that are available for anyone to pick and use. Just bring some 12 gauge and you're welcome to the gun.

Shotguns won't be "necessary" in this match, as the steel will all be available with a pistol. So you don't have to use a shotgun and you don't have to reload it either. So you don't need any special shell holders on your belt. This also means that you can New York reload your shotgun by ditching it and transitioning to your pistol. Oftentimes much faster than reloading your shotgun anyway.

But the use of shotgun is encouraged for speed. Especially for the spinner target. Plus, if you don't use a shotgun, you don't get to shoot at the bonus targets.

6. CarlB

CarlB Distinguished Poster

What 12GA loads do you want us using? Do we need to be on the heavier side of #4s?

9d up likes this.
  7. Keenan

Most rounds are birdshot (7 1/2s or 8s). IF there is a slug target, those are required, but we have those minimally. The largest on the spinners are lead #6s if my memory serves me right.

Me...I use the Federal bulk 1200 fps 7 1/2s or 8s.

9d up likes this.
  8. 9d up

9d up Clayton Welch

Madison
    Under 3Gun Nation rules (which we follow) you cannot use birdshot heavier than 6.

What Jason said is good. There aren't any slugs anytime soon. No buckshot needed.

I like the cheap shells too, and have put the appropriate springs in my guns to accommodate. If you want to shoot the loaner guns, I recommend that because it's cheap.

Can't beat $21.70 per 100 at academy or Walmart. I can't tell a difference between 7.5 or 8 either.

Some high velocity 6 shot is nice on the spinner, and if you're close enough you can flip it over in one shot with that. Might take 3 or 4 with regular cheap birdshot.

9. CarlB

CarlB Distinguished Poster

Cool, thanks guys!

9d up likes this.