Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a 2nd generation army background I have long wandered about something.
On a USMC uniform class A or dress blue, below the rows of ribbons there are often two
what I believe are marksmanship medals, one larger than the other but what I would
like to know is which is which, I suspect that the larger is for long arms and the slightly
smaller one for sidearms though that is at best my best guess. Our equivalent medals
in the army are differentiated by precision of your shooting prowess with a row of bars
suspended below indicating which weapon they are for and I recall that my dad's had
pistol on one bar and a few others on the same chain but I'm totally clueless where
the USMC equivalent is concerned. Any informed assistance will be greatly appreciated.
I would post pictures illustrating the two medals side by side as they are worn but I
don't have such available at the moment, thanks.

·
Registered
17,183 Posts
Here you go. Note the Requal clasp is for Expert badges only, and will indicate however many years the Marine has continuously fired Expert(2,3,4,.....). I wore the Expert Rifle and Pistol badges with multiple awards during my career.

There are 3 other Marksmanship badges you might see. The Distinquished Badges which are awarded for Competition at the National level. Back in the early days of VN, Marines who were Distinquished Marksman were hand selected and trained for duty as snipers and transferred from their parent organizations for that task. Carlos Hathcock was one of those men.

I've only personally known 2 Marines who wore the Distinguished badge(s), during my career.

Above are three marksmanship competition badges on a U.S. Marine Corps service uniform; from left to right: Distinguished Marksman Badge, Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge, and the Inter-Division Pistol Competition Badge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts