close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

A SHOOTING AT MY PLACE THIS AFTERNOON

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by DEADEYE 1, Apr 22, 2016.

1. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

When my old back gets to hurting, I will take a break in my recliner. One of my buddies had called to check on me and while talking I heard my hunting dogs start to bay and kept barking. I knew that someone had driven up or they saw something.
    I grabbed my old Hi-Standard 4 inch revolver that I keep loaded at all times with 9 rounds. I walked to the gate and noticed my 1 year old 80 pound pup circling and looking at the ground. What they were barking at was a 3 foot long Copperhead that was curled up and ready to strike. The little Hi-Standard did its job and the snake suffered a severe headache.
    Over the years I have killed a bunch of rattlesnakes , a few copperheads and moccasins, and most of them I shot in the head with 22lr revolvers.:)

2. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Yeah, it's that time of year. Been carrying my lcr w/snakeshot for a couple weeks now, when I'm outside in the garden or shop, etc.

3. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

I've seen several chicken snakes and a small king snake. I've left them alone. I had to catch a small rat snake in the garage and put it out in the field so the wife could get to the car.

Hoot G, Blondie70, Canman and 5 others like this.
  4. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I've told everyone to leave the snakes alone, unless they are the bad boys.

maxhush, Hoot G, Blondie70 and 6 others like this.
  5. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

This time of year i keep my NAA .22LR mini-revolver loaded with ratshot in my pocket when I'm working in the yard and woods. Don't have to worry about sweating on it since its stainless.

Vick, Blondie70, Canman and 4 others like this.
  6. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

what did it taste like?

Jarhead5811 and Quickeye like this.
  7. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam & Persian Gulf Wars MSGO Supporter

Have heard lot's of tails on this, what's the best way to tell if it's poisonous, besides being bit.??
    Never got close enough to a "step and a half" to look at it's eyes.

8. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

well pit vipers have vertical pupils, and (if looking strait down at their head) ridges over their eyes.

also after the anal divide pit vipers continue with single belly scales as apposed to other snake having multiple rows. this helps in identifying shed skin too.

I can normally tell by temperament. 99% of cotton mouths stand their ground first, mimics flee. cottonmouths swim on top of the water-usually-, mimics swim with just their head out of water-usually.i say usually because all snakes will also swim 100% submerged...

the main way the general public describe snakes is by color. I saw a black and brown snake, what was it?

all species are variable in color. there are some more consistent, but they all vary in color and markings. like fingerprints and snowflakes :)

maxhush, Quickeye, Blondie70 and 2 others like this.
  9. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    If it's got a big triangle head, it pretty much eats lead unless I notice the pattern quick enough. Most good snakes are long and thin, with a head about the same side as their body. Short, fat, aggressive, triangle head, they're not usually nice.

And for the good of all, if it's black and speckled with white spots, let it be. That's about the most easily identified nice snake, one of the popular patterns of a king snake. I don't know of any other type with that pattern.

10. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Generally you can tell by the markings, coloration, body size, etc. For example a cottonmouth is very heavy bodied. We only have 6 venomous species in the State, and not all are present throughout the state. Here's some pics and info, including the non-venomous ones.

Mississippi - What Snake Is That

11. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

12. BasMstr

BasMstr Distinguished Poster

When in doubt, blast away!!!

13. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I let king snakes, black runners, chicken snakes, green snakes go. But if he has a wide head, he,s fixin to be dead. I,ve killed 2 coral snakes in my life and those are the only ones that I have seen . I have woods all around my house place. I admit, I am fearful and hate rattlesnakes and we have some big ratttlers over here on the Alabama line with miles of timberland. Hills, hollows with spring fed streams. We have a few bears too and suped up wild cats.:) I put 3 CCI SHOTSHELLS for the 1st shots and the rest in hollow points or solids. This revolver shot a tight group with the 12 shot and I missed 1 shot as he was moving but hit him with a solid hit to the head with the 12 shot and with a hollow point. The 1st shot hit him in the body when he was coiled up.
    I saved a Vet bill not to mention that I could step on him. My Cajun buddy told me to put out some moth balls, which I bought in town today when buying some Di-Cal and mineral salt for the deer.
    I have a H&R 22 revolver that throws a bit larger pattern with the CCI 12 shot. Which proves that I need to practice with the revolver and load that I am using, even with 22lr.:wut:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  14. PWB

PWB Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If it doesn't have shoulders I don't want to be no where near it!

15. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Do your little pocket gun a favor...wipe it down with a lightly oiled rag when you get in. Stainless will rust. I know from firsthand experience!