Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Font Art Circle Pattern

Wood Recreation Font Precision sports Circle

Recently there was a post on MSGO about Hatsan refurb airguns that caught my eye so I checked Hatsan's website and wound up buying a refurb Airtact .177 for $50 plus shipping. I'm 77 years old and not as energetic as I once was and haven't done much shooting over the past 10 or more years. I missed it and figured the air rifle would serve several purposes:
(1) I could shoot from my porch - no bush-hogging and mowing my 100 yard range, no loading up all my stuff and dragging it out there, no putting all my stuff away, no disturbing the neighbors;
(2) I could learn to shoot from a rest - even though a rest eliminates some shooting problems, it is a discipline all to itself;
(3) I could (re)learn trigger control - when you settle and begin your trigger squeeze, continue until the shot breaks, stopping and starting brings on jerking and you can't shoot better than your 'wobble area'. Practice shrinks 'wobble area';
(4) I could focus on sight alignment and sight picture - front sight, front sight, front sight, etc.
These are all basics but have to be learned and maintained.

I had bought a Daisey Powerline pistol in 1990 and still had most of a box Daisey .177 pellets, the price of $1.98 still on the box. Of course I had to learn the 'artillery hold' make a rest, target stand, and find some targets. I read a post on GTA about making no changes to the rifle until you shoot 1000 or so shots so the rifle can wear in and settle down so I started shooting and I'm now about 200 or so shots into it.

So now, you ask, what does all this have to do with the two targets? Both targets are 15 shots fired as three 5 shot groups with a beverage and a cigarette between each 5 shot group, all fired from my porch at about 40 feet. Target #1 is with the 'stock' rifle. Target #2 was fired after I painted the front sight black with some acrylic paint. I guess I don't like a fiber optic sight! Learn something new every day............

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
View attachment 307451

View attachment 307452

Recently there was a post on MSGO about Hatsan refurb airguns that caught my eye so I checked Hatsan's website and wound up buying a refurb Airtact .177 for $50 plus shipping. I'm 77 years old and not as energetic as I once was and haven't done much shooting over the past 10 or more years. I missed it and figured the air rifle would serve several purposes:
(1) I could shoot from my porch - no bush-hogging and mowing my 100 yard range, no loading up all my stuff and dragging it out there, no putting all my stuff away, no disturbing the neighbors;
(2) I could learn to shoot from a rest - even though a rest eliminates some shooting problems, it is a discipline all to itself;
(3) I could (re)learn trigger control - when you settle and begin your trigger squeeze, continue until the shot breaks, stopping and starting brings on jerking and you can't shoot better than your 'wobble area'. Practice shrinks 'wobble area';
(4) I could focus on sight alignment and sight picture - front sight, front sight, front sight, etc.
These are all basics but have to be learned and maintained.

I had bought a Daisey Powerline pistol in 1990 and still had most of a box Daisey .177 pellets, the price of $1.98 still on the box. Of course I had to learn the 'artillery hold' make a rest, target stand, and find some targets. I read a post on GTA about making no changes to the rifle until you shoot 1000 or so shots so the rifle can wear in and settle down so I started shooting and I'm now about 200 or so shots into it.

So now, you ask, what does all this have to do with the two targets? Both targets are 15 shots fired as three 5 shot groups with a beverage and a cigarette between each 5 shot group, all fired from my porch at about 40 feet. Target #1 is with the 'stock' rifle. Target #2 was fired after I painted the front sight black with some acrylic paint. I guess I don't like a fiber optic sight! Learn something new every day............
Nice Intro, Pic of the rifle? Tell us about the sight...what does it look like now, and before you painted it?

Also, we have a Air Rifle Section.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,918 Posts
Great shooting

·
Chief cook and bottle washer
5,940 Posts
Imo you settled down on #2 and you having already shot 15 times on the first target, you got it that groove and did some fine shooting.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,345 Posts
I hope that I shoot that good in nine more years.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
25,587 Posts
Great shooting. I got a refurbished Daisy Avanti from CMP a couple years ago, haven't even shot it yet. Need to break it out and shoot it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turable.shot - here's a link to the rifle
and this is what the front sight looks like now:
Office equipment Wood Office supplies Gadget Bumper

Leg Wood Gesture Automotive tire Gadget

rc - those two targets were shot on two different days.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Checked out the website mentioned by Buk. The rifle mentioned wasn’t in stock but ended up with a refurb .22 Mod 95 inbound. This’ll be my first break barrel. I prefer underlevers with fixed barrel but at the refurb price, I’ll give it a try. Glad the Buk mentioned the idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts