Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 Cobia 2250 Spirit. It is a 23' Cuddy Cabin with a low hour 2014 4.3 MPI Mercury. It has a Alpha One Gen II out drive. Its a good boat, I just took it to Cat Island to camp this weekend.

The work
-Transom has rot,
-Outdrive seals have a small leak, and I want to rebuild the whole thing with bearings and seals.
-Electrical works, but needs a rewire
-I have some wood rot and delamination up front in the cuddy.
-needs a new top and clear coats.

Has anyone rebuilt the transom on a Inboard/Outboard boat? Any advice? Lessons learned?

Has anyone rebuilt a Merc outdrive?
Water Sky Cloud Boat Watercraft

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I/O vs OB. I am planning on staying to the IO set up. The motor was a 10K crate motor from Mercruiser, and it runs great and good MPG too. I dont want to break the bank with this project. I'm hoping if i'm doing most of the work i'll be able to keep it under $1.5K.

As far as the paint is concerned. The bottom half of the boat was done when i bought it. The top half needs to be done. The clear coat is all but gone. I have tried rubbing compound and others to try and work it to a shine with 0 luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the fact i know how the 4.3 runs and it's easy for me to work on without a marine mechanic. And plus they are a strong marine motor with a good history of reliability.

I have not idea about the coat type, im assuming that it has never been redone since its birth.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So it begins. I got the engine out. Had to make my own homemade lift. Next i'll disassemble to rest of the transom, remove the gimbal housing, and power steering bracket. And then its time to grind fiberglass and see how much rot i have.

Reactions: Hoot G

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ROT ROT ROT. The transom is MUSHY. The only reason i didn't have problems with flexing is this Cobia has a thick skin. I didn't think it was this bad, had i known i would have never been running it.

So i am not cutting the outside fiberglass. I can going to cut the inside skin and replace all the wood with a new piece and reglass.

Any suggestions on where to get marine grade plywood on the coast? Any thoughts on using Koosa board? Its spendy but i would never have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know the boat had termites when i got it. But i didn't think they would eat the entire transom. Its like layers of glue is all that is left. Like little sheets of paper.

QUESTION !!!
So how do i get behind the back , sides of the boat. The rot goes behind where i have my hand in the photo. I really dont want to cut out any more than i need to. Any ideas on how to clean the rot out behind the side floors and get replacement wood back there?
Wood Asphalt Road surface Automotive tire Gas

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bad news. I cut into the floor to for access to the transom. The floor is rotted out too. How far ill have to find out. I should of knew i was opening pandoras box when i started this. I am going to cut more, see whats what, and then figure out if i want to do all the work or bring her to the dump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts