Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy, in your opinion, the most accurate 22 lr rifle l can buy to shoot 100 yards plus. Will the CZ 457 or Tikka T-1 give me the best chance? I realize ammo choice is critical. One inch groups or better at 100 yards. They all group at 25 yards. Give me your best opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Mr. Roberts sir, dollar for dollar it's hard to beat a CZ. If money is no object invest in an Anschütz with a match chamber which uses the higher end ammo. You can get into the CZ starting at $600-$1000 depending on the model. Anschütz with a match chamber will start around the $2100 range and up. These are the average prices of new rifles. Anschütz does offer some lower priced rifles without match chambers. That being said the majority of the rimfire world aren't to sure of the new line of non match chambered rifles. Whenever something new is introduced & folks have to change there's always skepticism. The new line replaced the 1416.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
There are a lot of the serious (active) smallbore shooters on this forum who can give you good advice. What it all boils down to - how good do you want it to be?? and how much money do you want to spend????????? and do you want this rifle to be dedicated to target shooting or for general use and some long rage smallbore shooting as well.
Blade gave good advice above.
I will add just a little - Another consideration for the upper end Anschutz rifles is the trigger. IMO - the match rifles from Anschutz have the best trigger available and that, along with their barrels is what sets them apart.
There are custom bench rest smallbore guns that are super - but the $$$ is high.
If you just want something to shoot casually - the CZ or Tikka or some of the older Remington sporters etc. etc.
If you want to go used - look for an old Winchester 52D, or a Remington 40X - but getter yet a good solid used Anschutz 1813 or 1913. Even a solid Anschutz 1413 would do well, but the trigger is not as good as the one on the 1813 or 1913.
There was an older Kimber target rifle advertised on here a few months ago that would also serve the function well, but again the trigger is not as good as the Anschutz.

In summary I will repeat a sentence from above: What it all boils down to - how good do you want it to be?? and how much money do you want to spend????????? and do you want this rifle to be dedicated to target shooting or for general use and some long rage smallbore shooting as well.

Your mileage may vary..................

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I was looking at the 457MTR, or the 457 One. I like the 24 inch barrel available on the 457 one. It seems to be more rifle under you, but again, accuracy, not personal preference is my goal. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Remember too you'll need to plink down a few extra dollars for good quality ammunition for the results you want (pun intended).

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I am more than pleased with my CZ457. With the right ammo it's very accurate for a factory rifle. Also I like having the threaded barrel. It just depends on how much you want to spend.
Wheel Tire Hood Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
19,809 Posts
The Ruger Precision Rimfire gets some good reviews, and is easily affordable as a starter rifle. I have the .22wmr version and am very happy with it. :) MSRP is $599, but I paid $540 including tax, locally. Optics, bi-pod, etc. can be more than the rifle itself of course, but that's the same for all of them. The scope on mine is just a basic 3-9x40 from ZeroTech - about $250 iirc, but is adequate for me.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
26,113 Posts
CZ, Tikka, Bergara, Christensen, Voodoo all should fit your requirements. My Christensen is the most accurate of the .22 rifles I own.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The CZ457 is very hard to beat. You can find the Pro Varmint model for just over $600 and it is everything you need in a rifle. The Pro Varmint stock isn't as fancy looking as the Chassis or Manners Stocks models but it is every bit as accurate. I shoot the CZ457 personally. Mine has the Manners Stock, CZ's Integrally Suppressed Barrel, Timney Trigger, Area419 30MOA Scope Base, Area419 Bolt Knob upgrades. None of the upgrades make the rifle any more accurate, they just made me more comfortable behind it and that's a big part of the game too.

I have seen a couple of people shooting the Tikka T1 at matches and I have had the opportunity to put some rounds down range with one. It was very accurate but I did not like the stock it came with from the factory and there aren't as many upgrade options as the CZ.

Speaking of upgrade options...the Bergara B14R (just over $1000) is an amazing option too and has a huge availability of upgrades since it is based on the Remington 700 footprint. Apart from dropping big money on a Vudoo or RimX, the B14R is going to give you the most options in stock / chassis choices, triggers, and scope mounts.

All of the above rifles are plenty accurate for matches at 100 yards and in. And we've taken the Bergara and the CZ out to 400 yards so far. My suggestion would be to pick the one that looks and feels best to you and is compatible with any upgrades you may want.

If you are close to the Oxford area, swing by one of our matches. We are all always happy to let people get behind our rifles and try them out.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For an accurare sporter, that new Steyr Zephr II is a fine looking rifle, and the reviews claim really good accuracy. I saw some at Van's last week.

I don't compete but my old cheap Marlin bolt action is pretty accurate with CCI standard velocity. I think it would hold under 1" at 100 with match ammo but I'm too cheap to try it. Not exactly a nice rifle but it works.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a beautiful Vudoo, Beladran. I debated back and forth between the Vudoo and a RimX build and finally bit the bullet last week on the RimX. Got all the parts on order now the fun part...waiting...

I've absolutely loved my CZ457, just wanting to see how big the difference can be particularly in the longer range matches.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts