close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Doggy1953, May 3, 2016.

1. Doggy1953

Doggy1953 Distinguished Poster

I reloaded some 45acp with 6.7 gr of silhoutte. I seat the hornady 230 gr bullet with a c.o.l of 1.260, I messed up and loaded the ammo with an c.o.l. of 1.200. Is this ammo safe to shoot being loaded as such ? Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Lesson learn to check c.o.l more often.:thanx::badass:

2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Depends on how close the charge is to max!!

mascott, rigrat and canebreaker like this.

3. fredfredfred

fredfredfred Fred endorses this message

according to their reloading data http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/WesternLoadGuide1-2016_Web.pdf for a 45 ACP the min is 6.2 grains, max of 7.3 with a COL of 1.210. IF you loaded 6.7 grains with a COL of 1.200 I would think that it would be ok. as you are only .010 off wich is very little. If you have a case gauge, check it there, if it passes your case gauge i would fire one and look for any problems in your breech and look at the brass, if nothing noticeable there then I would say you are fine. What exactly are your concerns as it seems you are between min and max and are only .010 off ?

4. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

Use a bullet puller to slip the projectile out and reseat.

J.B.

5. Doggy1953

Doggy1953 Distinguished Poster

Just wasn't sure, thought it might be okay, sort of new and wanted a second or third opinion. Thanks.

6. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If you pull the bullets and reseat, you will also need to resize the cases. This can be done by removing the pin to remove the primer so it doesn't get messed up new primers. You would again expand the case neck and continue the reloading process.

If you are using the XTP bullet, you are still in a safe range for the load. It will have more recoil than you would have had and accuracy might change a little too. For normal range use, you probably will be OK.

OAL in handgun loads that are not at max could vary .005" and you would never know the difference without a chronograph.

Anything above 6.9 grains and I would have pulled them all.

7. canebreaker

canebreaker Distinguished Poster

A lot of work, but pull the bullet up to 1.260 or above and reseat. No need in pulling the bullet all the way out.

8. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

Just try to slip the projectile out a little, then reseat.

J.B.