Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just had to pass this along. :)

Friend Zulu has been commissioned by the Alamo to build a field carriage for the original 16 pounder cannon that defended the Alamo. Here's the thread with pics. This is going to be a huge and very interesting build. The barrel is 8'9" long and weighs 2240 lbs. so the carriage needs to support that and be a historically correct reproduction of the original.

Pic of original barrel:

WWA Info Exchange • View topic - Remember The Alamo!!!

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
I just had to pass this along. :)

Friend Zulu has been commissioned by the Alamo to build a field carriage for the original 16 pounder cannon that defended the Alamo. Here's the thread with pics. This is going to be a huge and very interesting build. The barrel is 8'9" long and weighs 2240 lbs. so the carriage needs to support that and be a historically correct reproduction of the original.

Pic of original barrel:

WWA Info Exchange • View topic - Remember The Alamo!!!
Awesome.
Definitely keep us posted. There's a big battle over operation control been going on. I like this move. I'm over due another visit.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The carriage build is nearly done. You can see all the build pics here:

WWA Info Exchange • View topic - Remember The Alamo!!! .

Here's the latest from the builder:

The carriage will be finished totally by tomorrow.
It will weigh close to 1600 lbs.
It is in my carport getting touch up paint by my lovely assistant right now.

I am trying to set up a delivery date of 7/16. I should have confirmation of that by tomorrow.

If I can roll it out, I will get pictures of it in my driveway. I figure the back of the trail weighs close to 300 lbs.
I have to lift that onto a furniture dolly to be able to move it.
I can lift it with my engine hoist.

The trailer I'm hauling it on has a winch.

Of coarse, I'll get plenty of pictures of the barrel installation.

Stay tuned!
Zulu

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked through the thread you linked to, and that is just awesome!
If you're interested, take a look at Michael's home page. He's probably the premier builder of carriages and related stuff in the US, and this isn't his first one for a museum.

Cannon Artillery & Carriage Reproductions-Michael Elledge-Houston,TX

Also, here's a couple pics he posted a couple hours ago of the finished Alamo carriage. One thing to note about his work: All the bolts, screws, etc. are "Clocked" to align, which gives you an idea of just how meticulous he is. It's pretty rare to see this kind of quality in anything these days.

Just to give you an idea of how big this sucker is:

That's his wife on the left. She does all the painting for his builds.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doyle first I can't believe that is the same carriage! If so why the hell they paint it blue!! Was there blue cannons back in the day??
The color was determined by the Alamo curator. Michael didn't like it, but he's under contract, so it is what it is.

·
Morte
4,309 Posts
Doyle first I can't believe that is the same carriage! If so why the hell they paint it blue!! Was there blue cannons back in the day??
The color was determined by the Alamo curator. Michael didn't like it, but he's under contract, so it is what it is.
I'm guessing the curator went by the Spanish customs of the time painting them a light blue. Once in the sun, the blue (on surviving originals) will weather turn a light grey color.

It is said that the carriages used to painted different colors so opposing forces could tell who was firing on them. Nothing is written in stone on this, but in discussions with Wayne Stark (now deceased, and for many years, keeper of the "surviving cannons" list) its seems the colors were roughly as follows.

Spanish - light blue
French - Olive Drab
Russians - dark green
Austrians - Yellow (ochre)
British - grey

And so forth. It is my understanding that US adopted Olive Drab due to the French being our allies in the Revolutionary War.

I believe there are surviving examples of CW cannons that had NO paint on the carriages.

This is from research done 20-25 years ago, so I'm sure more information has to surface.

Gunny if you talk to Zulu, and think about it, ask him if he has researched the "color" side of it any.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is just sad. Michael has the carriage on the trailer and ready to roll. But apparently the Alamo can't come up with $200 to rent a fork lift to move it from the trailer to the display spot and mount the barrel.

No Delivery yet. The Alamo can't come up with the $200 necessary to rent a forklift. I'm pretty upset with that.
I estimated delivery at mid July on June 14.
They are working on it.
In the meantime, the carriage is loaded and ready to go on the trailer.
These pictures don't show how it is secured but it is and wrapped against the weather as well.

More when it happens.
Zulu

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm guessing the curator went by the Spanish customs of the time painting them a light blue. Once in the sun, the blue (on surviving originals) will weather turn a light grey color.

It is said that the carriages used to painted different colors so opposing forces could tell who was firing on them. Nothing is written in stone on this, but in discussions with Wayne Stark (now deceased, and for many years, keeper of the "surviving cannons" list) its seems the colors were roughly as follows.

Spanish - light blue
French - Olive Drab
Russians - dark green
Austrians - Yellow (ochre)
British - grey

And so forth. It is my understanding that US adopted Olive Drab due to the French being our allies in the Revolutionary War.

I believe there are surviving examples of CW cannons that had NO paint on the carriages.

This is from research done 20-25 years ago, so I'm sure more information has to surface.

Gunny if you talk to Zulu, and think about it, ask him if he has researched the "color" side of it any.
He did, early on in the build. The Alamo curator made the decision, which he disagreed with but he was advised to stay out of the argument between the Alamo historians about it.

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is ridiculous.
Evidently the Alamo passed "Go" and collected $200. The carriage will be on the road at 03:30 tomorrow morning. Pictures coming sometime tomorrow afternoon or Wed. if all goes well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts