Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
"CDC estimates that influenza was associated with more than 35.5 million illnesses, more than 16.5 million medical visits, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths during the 2018–2019 influenza season."

In the United States alone. One year.

Oh, sorry, wrong virus.

:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Understanding pandemics: Key questions as the coronavirus spreads

"How bad could this be?

The WHO says data from China suggests about 82% of confirmed cases have only mild infection, about 15% are severe enough to require hospital care, and about 3% need intensive care.

Preliminary data suggest roughly 2% of people who tested positive for the virus have died. While lower than the SARS 10% fatality rate, that number is not at all reassuring. But it’s also too soon to draw conclusions.

To calculate the fatality rate you have to have a good idea of how many people have actually been infected and how many have died. Because so many people likely have mild infections and haven’t been counted, it’s impossible at this stage to know the fatality rate for sure.

“If we’ve very fortunate, there are tons of mild cases being missed and maybe it’s 0.4% or something … which is big,” said Lipsitch. “But that would be a lot of mild cases missed.”

Four deaths per 1,000 people infected would amount to four times as many deaths as influenza normally causes in an average year. Given that this is a new virus to which most people will have no immunity, it’s conceivable the attack rate — the number of people infected — will be higher than the attack rate for seasonal flu. In the U.S., the CDC estimates that about 8% of people will contract influenza in any non-pandemic year.

The damage could be worse in low-income countries that don’t have the capacity to support a lot of severely ill pneumonia patients who need mechanical ventilation.

“This disease may appear relatively mild in the context of a sophisticated health system. That may not be the case should this disease reach a system that is not as capable as that of China,” said Dr. Mike Ryan, WHO’s health emergencies director."

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Let me say first, that I don't trust Chinese numbers. Neither do I accept your interpretation of those numbers, especially since we do not know the real numbers this early in the progression of COVID-19.

You evidently missed this most important part of the article;

"... But it’s also too soon to draw conclusions.

To calculate the fatality rate you have to have a good idea of how many people have actually been infected and how many have died. Because so many people likely have mild infections and haven’t been counted, it’s impossible at this stage to know the fatality rate for sure."

Using numbers from outside China, we have 696 cases, and 4 deaths. That's below the percentages from China, and much below the percentages you calculate. But, those are likely not accurate either. It's too soon to tell what the real danger is. There are many factors that enter into any calculation of risk, not just raw numbers, and there is as yet insufficient data for a meaningful answer. (With apologies to Isaac Azimov.)

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
As I said, there are too many variables to predict death rate, as you were postulating. Early China cases were more likely to die because they didn't know what they were dealing with.

Even the WHO numbers are questionable. I don't accept any numbers as written in stone, but they are what we have.

It's much too early to assume that there will be a 15% death rate, or that untold millions will contract COVID-19. It's also not very useful to watch China, because their own data collection is suspect, and their reporting of that data is too.

It's something to watch, but I'm not ready to make dire predictions of impending doom.

This is not accurate, as GunnyGene's post above makes clear.
"Edit: Their current figures they are releasing though show that...of the confirmed cases of infection they have documented...15% have died."

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
CDC and WHO have different numbers.

I don't know which numbers are correct, but I trust the Ethiopian that heads up the United Nations World Health Organization less than I do the US CDC.

Sad situation.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I guess it depends on what numbers you're looking for. The number in the US that have the virus, no matter the origin, or the number that caught the virus while in the US.

I'm so confused. But I bought two N99 masks today. :confused: o_O :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Secrets. Y'all are gonna love this.:warning:

Excerpt:
Or maybe it's just more bogus "anonymous" sources trying to stir up trouble for Pres. Trump. The dems are trying everything they can to make him look bad, no matter the cost to our country.

"The administration officials, (4 per this story) who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said they could not describe the interactions in the meeting room because they were classified."

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
You're right Gunny. Wishful thinking on my part. He's more worried about the market than what really matters. I believe he's surrounded by idiot advisors who are afraid to speak the harsh truth.
I'm not going to get in a long debate about this, but consider that the financial ramifications of this are potentially every bit as devastating to the world as the virus may be. I'm glad he's handling the financial end of things, as he's pretty well qualified for that, and allowing the CDC, NIH, etc to handle the medical part, which he is not. Both issues need to be addressed.

I've seen as many gov't medical briefings on the news (but not CNN or MSNBC) as I have him talking about the market. But the media doesn't want us to pay attention to those, it doesn't fit with their "Orange Man Bad" narrative that they are promoting.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
They have one that has been 100% effective in NY
View attachment 207779

I have listened to several interviews of doctors, about this and everything has been extremely promising. Of course that's when the media came up with Chloroquine killing that guy, when in reality he drank aquarium cleaner.
I'm not sure about the 100%, but I agree that it sounds promising, and I have my fingers crossed. Plasma transfer sounds like it's working too, but I don't know how much they've used it yet.

Of course it's Trump's fault! He was the cause of the TidePod fiasco too! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Rogan O’Handley

No true American says, “my rights may be exchanged for safety” That’s how cowards and communists think.
I'm real glad that he, and a bunch of other folks that think like he does, weren't around during WWII. Americans back then had a different idea about patriotism, and how to deal with a crisis. I guess maybe that's why we call them "The Greatest Generation."

https://u-s-history.com/pages/h1674.html

"Rationing regulated the amount of commodities that consumers could obtain. Sugar rationing took effect in May 1943 with the distribution of "Sugar Buying Cards." Registration usually took place in local schools. Each family was asked to send only one member for registration and be prepared to describe all other family members. Coupons were distributed based on family size, and the coupon book allowed the holder to buy a specified amount. Possession of a coupon book did not guarantee that sugar would be available. Americans learned to utilize what they had during rationing time.

While some food items were scarce, others did not require rationing, and Americans adjusted accordingly. "Red Stamp" rationing covered all meats, butter, fat, and oils, and with some exceptions, cheese. Each person was allowed a certain amount of points weekly with expiration dates to consider. "Blue Stamp" rationing covered canned, bottled, frozen fruits and vegetables, plus juices and dry beans, and such processed foods as soups, baby food and ketchup. Ration stamps became a kind of currency with each family being issued a "War Ration Book." Each stamp authorized a purchase of rationed goods in the quantity and time designated, and the book guaranteed each family its fair share of goods made scarce, thanks to the war.

Rationing also was determined by a point system. Some grew weary of trying to figure out what coupon went with which item, or how many points they needed to purchase them, while some coupons did not require points at all.

In addition to food, rationing encompassed clothing, shoes, coffee, gasoline, tires, and fuel oil. With each coupon book came specifications and deadlines. Rationing locations were posted in public view. Rationing of gas and tires strongly depended on the distance to one's job. If one was fortunate enough to own an automobile and drive at the then specified speed of 35 mph, one might have a small amount of gas remaining at the end of the month to visit nearby relatives."

And there were blackouts, curfews, and various other restrictions on personal freedoms. The war ended, and most folks that survived the war, eventually got back to working to make the American Dream a reality.

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
The problem is, we are not at war. That is a big difference.
We are at war. Maybe not the kind where we have an enemy country, but something much worse.

A foreign entity that seeks to harm us.

It strikes whenever and wherever it can.

It doesn’t take prisoners to a POW camp.

It doesn’t recognize any rules of war.

It doesn’t accept surrender

It has no mercy.

It’s only goal to attack more people, kill or maim, it doesn’t care, just make more victims.

If that’s not war, it’s something worse. Rather than whine incessantly about how governments are taking away our rights under the guise of fighting this enemy, maybe we should support them, and our friends and family in this time of crisis. And yes, it is a crisis. Are there those who would use this conflict to further their aims? Of course there are. Them we should name, and refuse to allow it to happen. But constantly complaining about “them,” meaning everybody that’s on the front line, and concocting grand conspiracy theories how “they” are taking over and destroying America, is not productive, and I would even say unpatriotic. Know something somebody is doing that isn’t aimed at saving Americans? Name them. Individually, and cite their actions, and we’ll all go after them, if we agree with your conclusion.

If any one has a better idea than starving this enemy of victims, developing cures and vaccinations, anything that would work better than what the gov’t is doing, I’m sure we would all be happy to hear it. But all this griping and moaning and bellyaching doesn’t do anything to help defeat this enemy.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
So just who are we at war with?
I suppose that the smart aleck answer is that we’re at war with the thing that’s killing us. But since you seem to think it’s ok for a virus to kill thousands of Americans, that’s probably not a good enough answer. But, it’s all you get.

And as far as conspiracy theories and complaining they are taking over America, well I guess we could just choose to sit back like good little sheeple and think everything is just all hunky dory.
I never said anything about everything being all hunky-dory. And, I never said anything about sitting back and doing nothing. You don’t seem to have a very high level of reading comprehension.

You are blind if you think the Politicians are out for your well being and that they do not conspire to strip you of your rights and take away everything that is dear to you.
I never said politicians are out for my well-being. However, I do not believe that they are all out to strip me of my rights and take everything dear to me. That’s really over the top, and sadly paranoid. It explains a lot about your apparent hatred for this country, or at least our government (which is us).

And for one Oboma and Hillary Benghazi incident. Hillary accepting money from Foriegn countries while secretary of State and not disclosing them. The FBI clearing Hillary of all wrong doings with the private email server and deleting thousands of top secret emails that was requested.
Let me know when you go after her and get her, unless you feel she was innocent?
Obama, Hillary, Benghazi. Really? I did a lot of letter writing, and emailing, phone calling, and made financial contributions to the folks that were (are still) trying to out her. I wish there was more I could do. Not everything can be fixed that easy. There are bad folks in gov’t, that are only out for themselves, but I believe they are, and always have been, in the minority. They just get the most attention, especially in this time of witless internet warriors that whine about everything they don’t like.

Unpatriotic, that would be like being a blind sheeple.
We agree that blind acceptance is unpatriotic. But I also believe that constant complaining about what the gov’t is doing to save lives, especially when you don’t know the first thing about the fight, or even believe there is a fight, is also unpatriotic.

I let your ranting go on and on and on and on until I couldn't stand it any more. Ok, I've had my say, so I'm done with this. I'll go back to ignoring your posts.

You can go on bashing the United States government all you want. But until you can come up with an answer to deal with this virus, all I hear is "wahhhh wahhhh wahhhh."

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Wonder how many of the daily new cases are confirmed by testing. Lots of FaceTime or even just phone call doctor visits going on right now.
The confirmations at the bottom are just for the State Labs. No numbers from the "other providers." If the ratio is the same from "other providers" that would be consistent for the total. But, that's just an assumption. ;)

COVID-19 Testing
Statewide Combined Testing Summary
COVID-19 testing providers around the state include commercial laboratories as well as hospital labs. Combined with testing done by the MSDH Public Health Laboratory, the figures provide a complete picture of all Mississippi testing. We will update these figures as data becomes available.

Combined testing totals (MSDH, hospital laboratories and commercial testing providers) as of April 22, 2020.

Total individuals tested by the MSDH Public Health Laboratory 10,968
Total individuals tested by other providers 44,421
Total individuals tested for COVID-19 statewide 55,389

MSDH Testing Summary
MSDH Public Health Laboratory (MPHL) testing totals as of 6 p.m., April 22, 2020. These totals are for tests performed at the MPHL only.
  • Total individuals tested by the MPHL: 10,968
  • Total positive individuals from MPHL tests: 1,259

1 - 20 of 75 Posts